New line of Brass Trains

The only reasons to do something that's already been done is:

1. High demand, and low initial production by another manufacturer. If the demand is there, another manufacturer such as yourself can jump in and make money from the demand if you create a comparable product.

2. You think you can do better than the model already done by another manufacturer, and there is a sufficient demand to justify doing a model already done by someone else.

It actually costs more than that (I'm not kidding, they do "research" as to whether an expanded rail line would be feasible and of course they don't release the results so a few years later, they do more "research")

This would be a really cool eloc in brass... :)

traveltown_0707_003.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, let history be an example. The Chinese factories have been having quality control issues lately (they've also been doing things like substituting materials to save money without notifying the contract holder). MTH went to Thailand to have their Protosound boards made, and those were very flaky.

In my experience working in the field of IT, all of the IT jobs outsourced to India come back to the states. Why? Over the phone, the Indians claim that they can do everything. Once they get off the phone, they ask each other what they should do, then do a sub-par job which then ends up being fixed here in the states. I'm not saying all of India's industries are like that, but it may be a reason why there isn't large scale manufacturing there compared to China.

Tally ho! I would be very reluctant to buy India made brass.

I have first hand dealings with Indian engineers. Their caste system gets in the way of lines of authority. Ours are based (theoretically) on merit. Theirs are based on birthright. The two systems don't mix well.

My experience with India made tools has been 100% negative. All have either poor fit and finish or broke well under their "rated" load. They make the HF Chinese stuff look positively first rate.

Locally, one well known company outsourced much of its machinery production to India. They have since brought it back to the US, while publicly admitting it was a big mistake.

I'm afraid I would have to pass unless/until a very good track record was established.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why they would only be producing the frame, body and details, which they do quite well (been doing that for centuries). ALL the electronics and moving parts (ie: motors, drive train, gears, etc) will be either domestic or Japanese. We are aware that to be successful in this, we CANNOT cut corners in how well the engines run.

Take a look at Blackstones business model and you will see how to become sucessful.

They chose a subject that is desireable but not offered in RTR configuration for an offordable price.

Their product is a hybrid and the price is good. The features and detail are really good. The mechanics from what I can see are excellent.

India has some very good quality manufactures and some not so good ones. Same as in China.
The only way to ensure quality is to have a constant dialogue with the Mfg. through the design and construction phase.
Just my .02 cents.

Then if they are already "done" in brass, why wouldn't we do something else?

Because many have not been done, and those that were bring premium prices in the used market, even though they have poor drive systems and mediocre (compared to today's models) detail.

Back