New layout

trainstop

Ok I am starting my first real HO layout in many years. This time I have used extruded foam on top of 3/4 plywood. In the past I would always paint the plywood base a tan color but do I do the same with the extruded foam? I can't see any reason why I wouldn't but I thought I should ask before I move on to the next step.

That's what I'm doing. I mean, it's basically just to get a good "dirt" color underneath everything, which can show through in tiny bits and add realism to any plant life you put down. Of course, if you have actual large or open dirt areas you have to do a bit more, but it does well for areas that will be otherwise covered. You will want to use latex paint on foam, though, just in case (or at least test a small bit of foam first). Krylon-type sprays can tend to melt some types of foam.

trainstop,

I intend to paint my foam and plaster as well. Just a hint here though. Use Krylon rattle can paint as it is 100% acrylic and will not hurt the foam in anyway. Most other, so called acrylic, paints contain some sort of petroleum product and that will eat or potentially eat the foam.

Cheers,

trainstop,

I intend to paint my foam and plaster as well. Just a hint here though. Use Krylon rattle can paint as it is 100% acrylic and will not hurt the foam in anyway. Most other, so called acrylic, paints contain some sort of petroleum product and that will eat or potentially eat the foam.

Cheers,

The caveat: Make sure it is Krylon ACRYLIC. If you just go in and pick up a can at random you'll find that most "rattle can paint", including most of the Krylon that you see on the shelf, is solvent-based, and you get this:

"Contains: Acetone, Propane, Toluene, Aliphatic Hydrocarbons, Butane and Trimethylbenzenes. Danger! Extremely Flammable!"

which will definitely melt your foam.

I went with the latex as much to avoid overspray and airborne "paint dust" getting on everything, especially since I'm building the layout as I go and don't want to have to keep going back and cleaning everything that's already installed. However, if you're going to paint the whole layout before you ever start working on any of the track and fixtures then the overspray won't be such an issue.

Thanks for all the replies. I have about 26' of foam that I need to cover so can I just use interior paint that I have left over from a room that I painted?

Thanks for all the replies. I have about 26' of foam that I need to cover so can I just use interior paint that I have left over from a room that I painted?

You can "IF" it is 100% Acrylic. No petroleum products in the paint what so ever. If there is, it will eat the foam, and you don't want that :)

Cheers,

If it's interior paint it's probably latex, so yes. That's exactly what I'm using, though I had to actually have a gallon mixed at the store. You're lucky to have free (-ish) leftovers. So yes, brush-on latex or spray acrylic either one will work fine. The biggest thing is just that it needs to be a water-based paint, not a solvent-based one.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Wombat. I had a reply window open, then walked away & you replied in the meantime before I finally came back & typed my reply. So yeah, Acrylic latex or spray acrylic either one, you're absolutely correct. Sorry for repeating what you'd already basically said.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can often find suitable "dirt" colors at a paint store or home center among the paint returned by customers because it was the wrong color. I got a gallon of light brown latex paint for $7 because someone decided it was not the right color for their walls.

- Jeff

I simply use acrylics from Walmart...there's always a selection and you can always find the same brand/color as you continue to add more to your layout.

3a4a8eze.jpg

I mix burnt umber and some type of tan and it doesn't have to blend perfect because you get to top it with scenery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back