New Layout

scroggin

Hi folks here is an Idea for a new layout that Im thinking about for your critique. It would be built in a lined 40' container,a major project for the next few years.
The size is 40'x7'10"
Max curve on mainline = 45" radius
Max gradient = 1.1%
Two layers.
The top one at 80" with at 26" platform you step up onto for access giving a 54" base height.
The lower layer at 50"
A 2 twice round Nolix with a 1% gradient would connect the two layers.

I think a train layout in a container is a fairly good idea, assuming you can get the container and prepare it to serve as a building cheaper than you can build a comparable building from scratch.

As far as the layout is concerned, I also like three deck idea, though I would do my best to have no duck under spaces. Unfortunately that would eliminate some of your scenery areas in your drawing. But at nearly 8 feet wide, even if you maintained a 3 foot aisle you would have 2.5 feet of bench on each wall, which is the typical maximum reach anyway, 30 inches. And if you want "bigger" or "deeper" scenes, a container isn't the greatest starting point ;)

I just realized in your text you say "top" and "lower" layers, but in the image it's "top" and "middle". Is there intended to be a third layer?

I think its great to be considering an idea like either a mobile home, or shipping container for a model railroad. Haven't seen a lot of this type of ideas in the conventional model railroad press. I once did a design study for a condo with a 9'x25' storage unit. 7'10" is pretty narrow. 45" radius is pretty generous.

I think a train layout in a container is a fairly good idea, assuming you can get the container and prepare it to serve as a building cheaper than you can build a comparable building from scratch.

As far as the layout is concerned, I also like three deck idea, though I would do my best to have no duck under spaces. Unfortunately that would eliminate some of your scenery areas in your drawing. But at nearly 8 feet wide, even if you maintained a 3 foot aisle you would have 2.5 feet of bench on each wall, which is the typical maximum reach anyway, 30 inches. And if you want "bigger" or "deeper" scenes, a container isn't the greatest starting point ;)

I just realized in your text you say "top" and "lower" layers, but in the image it's "top" and "middle". Is there intended to be a third layer?
I had originaly drawn a staging layer 12" below the bottom layer didnt realise I hadnt changed the text. My apoligies for having the height in milimetres or any other foreignisms on the attachment.

I like the idea of a lower deck staging area. It's a fairly simple addition.

Could there be "operational value" in having the two long walls of the center level be opposite ends of a short-line, and the main line would run a few laps to reach the upper level where it would do a couple laps though tunnels and forests, then back down to the other side?

Will you be using the contain's metal doors for entrance or would you build in a wall and put a normal sized door on the end? Potentially you could design and build a layout with no duck-unders.

I like the idea of a lower deck staging area. It's a fairly simple addition.

Could there be "operational value" in having the two long walls of the center level be opposite ends of a short-line, and the main line would run a few laps to reach the upper level where it would do a couple laps though tunnels and forests, then back down to the other side?

Will you be using the contain's metal doors for entrance or would you build in a wall and put a normal sized door on the end? Potentially you could design and build a layout with no duck-unders.

I were just intending to use the containers metal doors the only changes I were wanting to make to the container was to glue foam to the ceiling for insulation and put in some ventilation to control condesation,maybe a window at some stage. And of course put in power and lighting.
The reason I went for a duckunder in this design was because I wanted a low gradient Nolex around the wall to climb between the two layers which you would have to duck under anyway . With a 1% grade you are only going to gain 1' per lap around the wall.
I might eventually put in a staging layer but that would be several years off.
Can anyone see any faults in the design and in how the trains will run around this layout?

Last edited by a moderator:
One question I have is how user friendly is a 54" layout height? When you step up onto the platform to use the top layer that will be its relative height. You couldnt make the platforms any higher because of the ceiling height of a container.

I might tie in the yard lead behind the stock yards, on the upper layer, otherwise you're going to tieing up the mainline, or passenger station, it looks like to me when something pulls into or out of the yard. Might do the same thing on the middle layer, also-looks like any time you pull into/out of the yard, you go straight onto the main. Passengers don't like having to wait.

My other advice might be on the top layer by the hill, to put in a passing siding, near the Hill, where all the industrial sidings are located. That way, a 'local freight' can sit in the clear, when the thru train comes thru. With that many sidings in that given location, it would aid operations, a lot, imo.

Regards,
Otis

I might tie in the yard lead behind the stock yards, on the upper layer, otherwise you're going to tieing up the mainline, or passenger station, it looks like to me when something pulls into or out of the yard. Might do the same thing on the middle layer, also-looks like any time you pull into/out of the yard, you go straight onto the main. Passengers don't like having to wait.

My other advice might be on the top layer by the hill, to put in a passing siding, near the Hill, where all the industrial sidings are located. That way, a 'local freight' can sit in the clear, when the thru train comes thru. With that many sidings in that given location, it would aid operations, a lot, imo.

Regards,
Otis

Thanks for your help. Is this how your suggestions would look?

For the suggestion of a passing siding near the hill are you talking about the bottom left? I could put in a passing siding so it has the siding to the logging yard branch off half way along it.

Containers are miserable places in which to be, summer or winter. What are the zoning laws where you live? How will your neighbors like you plunking down a big metal box in the back yard?

That would be a problem for a lot of peaple but we have a mild climate and the nearest nieghbours are 10 minutes walk, no one can see my place. Only time I know I have neighbours is when they have the shotguns out doing clay target shooting.

Back