New Layout Opinions...

kz9

New Layout

I already have my other thread about my old layout that is no more, so I decided to start another thread to progress my new layout.

I plan on having a 3 level layout with the lowest level being staging. The bench work will be the same as each level only I think I may shrink the highest level by 2'' or more for reach. There will be one helix the west and east of the main connecting all 3 levels which will be nice. Levels will be 22'' / 32'' / 54''

Here is the middle level.

Layout-1.jpg

I can send the Xtrack file to those that want to modifiy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I finished up the second level. Its VERY busy, but thats what I want, lots of operations. Note that Valley Cement's Unloading silos are going to be positioned on the track. I couldn't move just that section.

The bottom level is going to be all staging and I am planing to have it on slide out sections so I can access them easy. I want them only about 6-8'' below the middle deck too so the helix climg is not excessive. I already plan on having 24'' of seperation between the middle and upper.

LayoutTop-1.jpg

I am pretty happy with both decks! Can't wait to start construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully you have very long arms. Reaching 3+ feet into a multilevel layout is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Smile,
Stein

That is going to be a lot of layout.
I agree with the reach. I am a very tall and every time I had more than a 30" reach I still had trouble.

Steve

Wow Kellan, that is one awesome looking layout. Looks like you'll have plenty of operations to keep you busy.

Did you already find a new house to move into?

Hopefully you have very long arms. Reaching 3+ feet into a multilevel layout is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Smile,
Stein

That is going to be a lot of layout.
I agree with the reach. I am a very tall and every time I had more than a 30" reach I still had trouble.

Steve

Max reach is 32''. I will agree that it is a very long reach. I plan on having slideout steps along the edges to give me an extra 12''+ hieght reaching on the top or just one of those little steps that have the springs on them so it can roll around when I am not on it.

Wow Kellan, that is one awesome looking layout. Looks like you'll have plenty of operations to keep you busy.

Did you already find a new house to move into?

Nothing yet. This layout pretty much is planned around the house I am in right now. If I move, which for sure will have more layout room, the layout will be ''unfolded'' you can say.

LOVE THE TRACK PLAN. It looks well thought out with lots of switching options. Is it continous looped or end to end?

But im not a fan of multy level layouts. Just wondering if you had thought about reach for the lowest level. 1/2' is not much space to get your arm in there with rows of freight cars. I can see lots of re railing down there.

It can be continuous, but its actually just point to point. Helixs are on ethier end allowing access to each deck.

The yards are the 2 end points and then the staging would be out layout destinations. This will allow me to run any type of frieght, mutilple road interchange, and very nice classifaction operations in the 2 main yards.

The west route would be entering the middle level yard proceeding thru and up the bottom left helix to the top level then enter the top yard and then back down the helix to staging. East route is going to be from staging up to the top yard and then back down to the bottom yard. Also having both helix's connected to the staging will allow me to have trains classifed in ethier yards interchange with another road and not have to make the trip all around the layout, but that they can just hop on a helix and return to staging.

Staging is going to be designed so I can have 18''-24'' slide out section roughly 4'-6' long (depending on benchwork design) to be able to set up trains and such. This is how I am going to be able to have it so tight to the bottom of the above level. Also this will save on he waiting time beween a incoming train from off layout. I also plan on using the KATO track I have for this as I think I can modify that to join better when sliding the section in and out.

Back