New from NEW

Richard V

Hi neighbors, My name is Richard and I hail from North East Wisconsin. Neenah to be specific (sub. of Appleton). I used to have an N layout but it got seriously damaged in a hasty move. My brothers thought of them as just toys. So I'm starting out fresh in HO which will be better for my bad eyes and arthritis.
Not much stuff yet. A Bachman 4-6-0 with DCC and sound, two wood refrigerated cars and a combine. Also an NCC DC controller. I'm ready to start designing a layout.
I'm a 64 year old retired machinist/quality technician with interests in RC airplanes and motorcycles as well.

Welcome to the forum Richard. Believe it or not, I call the city on my layout Neenah Wis. I wanted a Wisconsin local and I live on Neenah Ave. Not to mention, Chicago has a million manhole covers that say Neenah foundry on them. I've never been in your city and I'm not trying to model it, just borrowing the name. I've got one those Bachmann 2-6-0s also and it's the best of the three Bachmann steamers I have. Looking forword to seeing your progress, we love pictures.

I would like to see your interpretation on the city. Neenah and Menasha have RR tracks every where. My last apartment was just across the street from a switching yard and the two main lines that come from Milwaukee and then split to got to Green Bay and Wausau. On the other side was the Neenah Foundry where the man holes are made.

Hey Richard V!

I'm glad to hear about your new layout!

What did you think of the Fox Valley Railroad? Its one of the best examples of Americana you will ever see in my opinion, but don't be discouraged if you can't measure up to it. Gary B is one of the top model railroaders and most can't measure up, I know I can't! I am not saying you can't, I don't know you, maybe you can do even better! All I am trying to say is don't compare yourself with any one, just have fun with your trains!

When I look at great model railroads like the Fox Valley I know I can't compete, but I do find them inspiring and a pleasure to look at.

Keep us posted with your progress, thanks for sharing your hobby with us.

Louis, You're making me blush. I can assure you and Rich that there are much better modelers here than me. But I do hope you enjoy and certainly not be put off by what myself or anyone else here has done. The point is to have fun, if you're not then you're doing it wrong.

Gary B, don't be so modest! I am certainly no art critic, but I like what I like. Who is to say if Picasso is better then Rembrandt? There are many great model railroaders on this forum. The Fox Valley Railroad spoke to me and inspired me to consider more then tracks and trains. I have not made any significant progress with that yet, but I will. I don't expect it to look any where near what some of the other model railroads look like. I can tell you I will have fun with it! By the way I am still looking for a MacDonald's that fits my budget and looks good too. I will find one, sooner or later. I can't believe how much they sell for!

Gary, You sure did tale some liberties with modeling Neenah. ;) The private homes a correct but there where no buildings over 3 stories until recently. And where are the tracks along the locks that lower the boats from Lake Winnebago to the lower Wolf river?
Other than that, that is some great modeling. I don't even dream of being that good.

Richard thanks for the kind words. Tracks along locks? That sounds cool to model. If I had any space I might try that. The photo backdrop that's in the latest pictures are from by the locks at Sue Saint Marie. At least they it started out that way. Hey as I always tel my sons, you do anything, you just can't do everything.

Back