New DCC operation, can't program

bklynman01

So this happened yesterday...
59675f279f6cd40c4468b0a5556f51e9.jpg

I was at my LHS looking through the used stuff (as I always do) and found this prodigy system. The sticker says "will not program". And the price tag said $60. The new one on the shelf above it is $207 (not the cheapest place to shop). So I asked about it. They didn't do any troubleshooting, only testing. Found that for whatever reason it would not program. I'm told they tried different hand held units but still nothing. So the problem is in the brains of the package.

Anyone ever have that problem? If so, what did the solution end up being? I've seen the programming stations pretty cheap, not sure if that's worth it.

Right now, I only have 1 DCC Loco anyway, and the plan is to only use it in a certain section of the layout. Not being able to program doesn't seem so detrimental to me right now. Worst case, I befriend a local club member and ask for help programming new equipment.

It's worth noting here that I also spent the night getting the bad boy wired up to the layout. Since my wiring uses terminal blocks to connect to power, the installation was easy and will be easy going back to DC. All operations seemed to work fine. Just can't program.

Did you check through the trouble shooting steps to determine if the programming feature may have simply been disabled?

bklynman01,

Hey I might be completely wrong about this but, maybe its broke! :)

Always wanted to say that for some reason, sad really.

Anyway, perhaps it is just a setting that has been disabled but I too would give MRC a call and see if this has happened to anyone else. I can't quite understand why (or how) a store could sell you something that faulty, despite the lowered cost, which makes me think it is repairable or correctable.

Good luck mate and hope you get it working.

I think the Digitrax variety takes a special 6-wire cable and not a normal RF-45 cable. Not sure of the cost of one, but it could be a simple fix to try a new one - specially designed for the MRC.

When you say it won't program, what exactly do you mean? What happens when you put it into program mode? It's possible that there is a fault in the wiring to the 'program' track terminals. You might need to pop that case open, it might be obvious.

I appreciate all the feedback! I will take a look at each of these items and let you guys know. If the day goes as planned, I'll have some time to spend on this tonight.

More to come...

btw - Tony, I just assumed it was broken! But after playing around, figured I would ask since there is a wealth of knowledge around here! Glad I could give you the opportunity to let out your inner most ambitions! :p

Here's one possibility:

The handheld "cab" has a cab number programmed into it. The MRC systems allows you to set the highest cab that can program. If the handheld has a cab number greater than what the system is set to allow to program, then you won't be able program with that cab.

Hey Guys,

My guess is that the "progamming circuit" is fried so to speak, meaning the output on the rear plug for the programming track (if that is what you are using). I had a that happen to my Prodigy, and a friend had the same thing happen as well. Everything works fine except programming on the programming track. I simply bought a NCE system and delegated the MRC to my test track.

You have two programming options, program on the main or on a programming track. Hit the PROG key on the handheld twice, and it will say Prog Main. Hit enter and try programming. If still dead in the water, contact MRC and inquire about the cost of repair. As I recall my friend didn't pay that much to have it repaired.

Will be anxious to hear what you find.

Ted

And result of tonight's investigation. ..

When going through the programming sequence as shown on the back of the cab, everything looks and seems fine. The sequence completes and no errors are shown. But when trying to run the Loco on the programmed number, nothing. Go back to the origin number (3 in this case, and it runs fine. Well, with the exception of problems related to dirty track at least.

I tried programming for both main track and programming track, but same result. I also changed the address of the cab to 1. Same results. My next check will be the cable. It looks like it's special, but I have the tools at work to both check the pin out and/or make any repairs. If the cable seems fine, maybe pop the thing open and look for any obvious problems.

It's worth saying also that I don't have a manual for the unit either. I haven't check the website yet, so that may yield some troubleshooting tips.

Any other ideas based on today's results? I'll check the MRC website tomorrow.

If I were you I would check out the MRC-DCC Yahoo group. Lots of good technical help from people who use MRC Prodigy equipment a lot.
Wayne

..I tried programming for both main track and programming track, but same result...

As far as ops mode programming ("programming on the main") is concerned, some decoders have certain limits on ops mode programming, such as not being able to change the currently active address(can you let us know what decoder your loco has?), and I think there are still a few that don't even support it. If the decoder does support it, you need to make sure you are going through the procedure correctly - loco on main track, with current address selected and select program on the main from the handheld.

If the unit will run trains, then it will do ops mode programming unless their is a configuration issue or some other kind of software issue. Program track programming uses a different output, but Ops mode programming is the same as running the trains except sending different commands so a hardware issue will not prevent ops mode programming unless it also prevents running trains.

check your decoder manual, there might be a way to reset it using DC. The seller may have given up on it but often the manufacture can still warrant it, so you get a good deal all the way around. Keep trying the suggestions here.

Back