New DC Power Pack

NH Mike

CEO & Wheel Cleaner
Went to the Amherst Society Train Show in Springfield Mass over the weekend. Been needing another power supply and saw the MRC display. I picked up an MRC Tech 7 ampac 760 throttle. It has selectable momentum and brake features and a 20VA output. With momentum turned on if you hold the brake button down the train will slow down until you release it. When the brake is released the train will come back up to the throttle setting it was running on. I hooked it up temporarily on the railroad and ran a variety of engines large and small and the performance was excellent in both momentum and direct track input. If there is a negative it would be that the pack only has variable DC for track power and fixed 18.5 VAC for accessories. There is no fixed DC output terminals. If anyone is considering an upgrade from a basic DC power pack I'd recommend taking a look at the MRC Tech 7 series. It is also available as a dual throttle unit with the same features. MSRP is $99.98 but I found a dealer at the show who was selling them for $75.

Hey Mike!

Thank you for the recommendation! I like to have both DC and DCC and the only DC power I have is from old HO Christmas train sets. Most of them are over 30 years old. My only newer one(8 years old) is an Athearn 9997 and it is only rated at 7VA I have been thinking about a new DC power supply.

I checked my local shop MB Klein/Model Train Stuff and they have the one you got in stock and on sale for $59.99 http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/MRC-Tech-7-AMPAC-760-Train-Control-p/mrc-1276.htm

I am going there today to pick up my New Lionel 100th Anniversary Grand Central terminal and I will take a look at the one you got. I like all the additional features it has.

Thank you again for the information!

Louis, the Tech 7 comes in 3 models. Ampac 700, Ampac 760, and a dual throttle Ampac 780. If the 760 is priced at $59.99 it is a super deal! You may have been quoted the price for the 700? Either way which ever one suits your needs I'm sure you'll be happy with it. BTW - the lack of fixed output DC is not a real problem. I use a trainset pack's fixed DC just for that purpose. I even have another with only variable DC track power that I set to 12vdc using a volt meter.

update: I just checked the link to MBK. Holy Cow!!!! Don't pass it up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey again Mike,

I went to MB Klein/Model Train Stuff yesterday and this is the one I was looking at for $59.99, MRC 1276 Tech 7 AMPAC 760 Train Control with Momentum. It is normally $64.99 but they have it on sale and the sale will last at least until they are gone and if they get more at the same price they will extend the sale. They have 49 in stock now, but stuff can fly out of there at times.

I almost bought it on the spot, but I found a Lionel legacy locomotive and it has moved to the top of my wish list. After I get the locomotive I will more then likely pick up that MRC 760.

I enjoy my HO layout, but Lionel O gauge is my passion.

I just noticed you checked the link! They are amazing with pricing and always have been. They use to be in a little hole in the wall in a not so nice section of Baltimore City. When all the other train shops in Baltimore were suffering and some going out of business they grew and grew. First with mail order then the internet because they have always given big discounts to every customer. Now they have a huge warehouse and sell most of their stuff on the internet.

When you need something, check with them before you buy because they discount everything and their shipping rates are very good too and they will even ship via USPS to save you even more money. I am lucky because they are only 20 minutes from me and after I drop my grandson off at school I am already half way there. I still have them ship some things because many times I only need one thing and the shipping is usually less then the 2 gallons of gas I would have used. I could not wait for my Grand Central Terminal so I made the trip after I dropped my grandson off yesterday and I am glad I did because it is fantastic!

Thanks again for sharing your find, I had no idea a DC transformer could do all that the MRC 760 does.

Louis, thanks for passing along the info. I've only been to Balto once in my life while our ship was in the yards at Curtis Bay. To be honest trains were the last thing on a young sailor's mind when he had some time off! I admire you for having both Lionel and HO. I have about all I can handle with just one size!

There enough folks that still run DC or else MRC would not have introduced these new packs. At that price I bet Kleins will sell them quickly once the word gets out. Now if they would come out with an add on hand held throttle for the 760 I'd really be happy!

Hey Mike,

I worked at the coal piers in Curtis Bay many times when I was a coal sampler. I know where the Coast Guard Yard is.

I would bet there are more people still running DC then there are people using DCC.

The great thing about the internet , you can shop at Klein's from any where now. I even have them ship tings to me from time to time.

My HO layout will only be 4x8 I won't need a hand held, but I know what you mean. I can't wait to get me Legacy set for my Lionel layout!

Back