Nervous Father.....

Gornza

Ok here's the deal. I am creating an O gauge layout for my son. I hooked up a lionel transformer and it works fine. My question is, with the unit plugged in, but the handle turned to no power (or off), if my son wants to change cars that the engine is pulling , and he accidently touches the outside rails, will he get zapped? or is it more of a strange tingle? [I was installing a new dishwasher in my house over the summer and was playing with hot wires and got zapped.] Is it that bad or worse? Second question: Does he have to complete the circuit by touching something else metal or just the inside/outside rails? I haven't been in volved with trains for over 25 years and need assurance....

Hello. The voltage and amperage are going to be low, but it takes very little amperage to do a lot of damage to tissue. Fortunately, with the low voltages in those power packs, amperage across the skin is likely to be non lethal.

To directly answer your questions: when the power pack is set to have the engine stopped, there would be negligible voltage showing at the tracks. So your son reaching out and touching all three rails won't have an effect. When the trains are moving well, it may be a different story. It turns out that only sweaty skin is a good conductor, and few people ever report that they get zapped by powered rails. I can tell you that I have never been zapped by my HO system.

In three-rail O gauge, the only contact sufficient to complete the circuit, just as it would for the engine on the rails, is that between the center rail and the outer rail(s). AFAIK, touching both outer rails is of no consequence because they are both of the same part, or half, of the circuit.

-Crandell

nervous is bad. you know these nerve cells you loose while being nervous are never "growing back", right?
anywho, the voltage on rails is not sufficient to do damage to body. however it is great opportunity to teach your sun about electrical shorts.

As Crandell said, the voltage in the tracks even when they are powered is relatively low. With the transformer throttle in the off position, there should be no voltage going to the tracks. Let me put it this way. I played with Lionel trains as a kid on layouts with some pretty big transformers and wiring nowhere near as safe as what we have now. I'm still here to type this message, 55 or so years later, so I wouldn't worry and let the boy have some fun.

By the way, have any of you fellas ever tried the tongue-across-the-terminals-of-a-9v-transistor radio-battery trick? I wouldn't describe it as a pleasant experience, but I am none the worse for wear. I would guess that the sensation with HO DCC-powered rails at 14 volts and O gauge near that voltage would give one as much of a jolt. Decidedly non-lethal, as my typing of this post would suggest. :p

-Crandell

By the way, have any of you fellas ever tried the tongue-across-the-terminals-of-a-9v-transistor radio-battery trick? I wouldn't describe it as a pleasant experience, but I am none the worse for wear. I would guess that the sensation with HO DCC-powered rails at 14 volts and O gauge near that voltage would give one as much of a jolt. Decidedly non-lethal, as my typing of this post would suggest. :p

-Crandell
did it enough times, :rolleyes:
trick? i'd say it was more of a way to "taste" how much power was left in the battery. means to troubleshoot things, so to say, lol.
but i wouldn't lick rails to test for power, that's for sure :eek:

I believe the maximum voltage for O gauge is 20 volts which is very safe.
The most danger is with the high voltage cord that gets plugged in.
Most trainsets recommend a minimum age of 8 but if alone I would go higher.
The kid would have to know what to do if he/she smelled an overheating unit or other emergency

-Crandell

Well, as a matter of fact......

Last night I was fine tuning a turnout. The hole through the foam and plywood for the Tortoise throw was a little fouled with foam pieces. No problem, I'll just put my lips near the rail and blow it out. BBZZZZZZZZZZ!:eek: Owww! I forgot the track power was still on.

Back