Needing a very short HO scale loco

bkpigs

I am looking for a short HO scale locomotive. It would need to be no longer than 3" from front of coupler to back of the rear most wheel. I have been looking at trackmobiles but none will be available until March. Right now I can switch with my GP59 but have to make an extra runaround during moves. Any ideas?

Ask tooter. He seems to know about everything small and HO scale. :)
He's got a pretty good thread going right now (the title is "tooter's scooters).:D

Ask tooter. He seems to know about everything small and HO scale. :)
He's got a pretty good thread going right now (the title is "tooter's scooters).:D

I can't believe I forgot about Greg's thread! You are right, I think he is the house expert on small HO scale critters :)

Most every engine I have is around 3 inches to be able to negotiate curves smaller than a 10 inch radius... :)

The very shortest is the Grandt line 23 ton industrial box cab loco at only 2" body length...
IMG_4834.jpg

Next shortest is a Roundhouse EMD 40 industrial loco at 2 3/4" body length...

IMG_4925.jpg

This old time Roco is 3 1/8" buffer to buffer...

IMG_4921.jpg

This Athern Hustler chassis with the rubber band drives replaced with super low reduction gears has a diecast box cab shell on it, and has a 3 1/2" body length...

IMG_4342.jpg

The Mantua Classics center cab "Goat" switcher is 3/1/2" long excluding tender...

IMG_3486.png

The Fleischmann eloc is 3 3/4" buffer to buffer...

IMG_4918.jpg

This really old Rivarossi is 3 3/4" body length...

IMG_4321.jpg

Most of these came from ebay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most every engine I have is around 3 inches to be able to negotiate curves smaller than a 10 inch radius... :)

The very shortest is the Grandt line 23 ton industrial box cab loco at only 2" body length...
IMG_4834.jpg

Grandt Line also makes a GE 25-tonner. It should be the same length as the box cab if not shorter, and best of all some of the real locos are still in service today.

If you are up for doing something completely custom, you could take the powered truck from a standard diesel and wire it up so it runs independently, then drape a shell over it. Probably can get down to 3" that way.

If you are up for doing something completely custom, you could take the powered truck from a standard diesel and wire it up so it runs independently, then drape a shell over it. Probably can get down to 3" that way.

Kinda like my "twins" . Both are Athearn SD trucks, with the center axle removed. Mini can motors drive the worm gear directly. From coupler face to the other end axle they are 3 1/8 inches each
critters%20close.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a little 15 ton Mack from Jordan that is powered with a Bachmann 44 tonner truck, back when they had two motors. I don't have it here with me but you can count the ties and measure it on Atlas Code 100 track to see how long it is.

It could be for sale if the offer was right...

Brad;

If you would like to build around a self-contained unit, why don't you consider this;
http://www.nwsl.com/motors-power-drives/stanton-drive

Its a direct replacement for their old PDT unit, plus it's already wired to accept a decoder.

That is a good idea. Not sure I have the resources to scratchbuild a body for it though (wife isn't too keen on the amount of supplies and stuff I have now). I am looking for something that is pretty much ready to run but won't break the bank.

When I was a kid I could remember having an extremely small switcher in SF paint, just have been completely unable to find it back.

Grandt Line also makes a GE 25-tonner. It should be the same length as the box cab if not shorter, and best of all some of the real locos are still in service today.

I believe the Grandt Line box cab and the 25 ton use the same undercarriage. The parts appear to be the same.

Greg

Back