Needed: Rheostat designed for 12VDC use

IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I'm setting up a motor mechanism to spin a Walthers rotary coal dumper using twin 12VDC motors with reduction gears. Up to this point, I've tested the functionality of it by connecting the motors to a leftover MRC DC power pack that I use whenever I want to test DC locos that have been newly-purchased from a private seller, and confirmed that everything works fine. Now I'm ready to run the wiring from a dedicated 12V wall-wort to the mechanism, with a rheostat to control the speed.

The problem now is that I don't know exactly what to look for; every time I do Google searches on "rheostat" I get a bunch of results for 120VAC devices used as light dimmers, stove fan speed controls, etc. If Radio Shack still existed I could just go there and somebody would help me find what I need - but they are long gone. So...can anybody here tell me what kind of rheostat I can connect in series, to control these 12V motors applying 0 to 12 volts?

...thanks!

the voltage doesn't really matter ... it's the current to passed through the pot that's important

If you search on ebay for a;

High Power Wirewound Potentiometer,​

you will find what you need.
However, selecting the correct ohmic value is difficult.
The coal dumper motor ohms could be a good starting point.
Better to use one of these

the voltage doesn't really matter ... it's the current to passed through the pot that's important
And that's what makes this confusing for me. I don't know how much current the motors are drawing at the different speeds, and I don't have a multimeter to hook up where I can check it. I selected the one I linked to in my reply to Terry (above) because the people were using it in similar applications to what I'm trying to do.

the DC-DC adapters that you [the op] ordered should work, they won't give you fine control like a rheostat will, but they will give somewhat coarse control by varying the output voltage .. might be close enough ?

the DC-DC adapters that you [the op] ordered should work, they won't give you fine control like a rheostat will, but they will give somewhat coarse control by varying the output voltage .. might be close enough ?
I wired them in this weekend, and they do work. However, they don't have the '+' and '-' polarity markers on them, so I almost burned one of them out before I discovered that I had put the input wires in backward. More about that in a later post...

Back