Need some advice on hoppers

A2TwrOpr

This week I decided to pull out a section of scenery and will replace it with a cement company and transloader. There will be a gravel pile near the cement company's main building that will take loads of gravel. What kind of hoppers would be used for gravel service in the 60s and 70s? The 70 ton quad hopper seems like a good one but I'm not sure. So what do you guys recommend?

I would use 70 ton. Be sure not to fill them to full as they will weigh out before the gravel gets near the top. Rock is very heavy.

Gondolas were also used for hauling gravel.

You could use any 50, 55, or 70 ton hopper car you wanted, as long as they are appropriate for your layout's era.

In fact, Elmhurst-Chicago Stone in Elmhurst, Illinois, used to load ore jennies with stone back in the 1970s. They were located on the CNW main line on the west side of town.

The Reading and Leigh Valley used to handle iron ore trains with hopper cars which were also used in coal service. The Chicago and Illinois Midland used to use gondolas for moving coal into the 1950s (and perhaps later) when there weren't enough hoppers available.

Hope this helps out.

Thanks guys, that really helps. I was kinda stumped because most of what I was finding online was about modern cars used in gravel service. I'm going to use 2 bay covered hoppers for the actual cement this works out perfectly. It will give me more variety of rolling stock on the layout since right now Ive only got box cars and covered hoppers.

Accurail has some rock service hoppers that are fairly recent releases. I think they are 1950-ish era. I especially like the ones in SP colors.

Accurail has some rock service hoppers that are fairly recent releases. I think they are 1950-ish era. I especially like the ones in SP colors.

I've found some accurail hoppers on eBay but they say they're ballast hoppers. I'll have to keep searching the web. Right now there are a few rock island quad hoppers that I've got my eye on.

Back