need info on some trains

craigh

KC Southern fan
Hello, im looking for some info on the value of some trains i have
1st is a set of 2 IHC E-8A 2-unit set 1 powered 1 dummy Frisco road #2008 Messenger and 2009 Jet Pilot they are brand new in the box
2nd is a set of 6 roundhouse trains passenger cars of Kansas City, Clinton, Springfield plus the 2-8-0 engine and tender to go with it the are also new in the box. Im trying to sell my dads train collection as a lot for my mom there is 328 cars and 57 engines so i got my work cut out for me. Thanks for the help

Would it be possible for you to post some photos of the items in your dad's collection? Even just a few group shots of subsets of rolling stock would help. It's nearly impossible to guess at any of the trains' market values without seeing them first...

here are a couple of photos of the two items i would like a rough estimate on they arent that great of photos the items are all in factory new condition im not worried about the other items i can get a rough estimate from ebay sales on them

I have to say that with them being IHC and Roundhouse don't get your hopes up for a high price. In my opinion you'll be doing good to get $75 for the lot you've shown there.

The IHC E unit set sold for around $80.00 new in the early 1990's. Walthers flooded the market with E units that are better detailed and better running. I'd guess 30 cents on the dollar at a train show. The MDC Roundhouse passenger cars go for around 10 bucks each new in the box. If that's private road lettering, it will lower the value.

The IHC steamers can be had for around $30.00-50.00 each new in the box. Same deal for the private road lettering. Jeffrey may not be too far off the mark, or you might get a little more than he suggests. It depends on who's buying what on a given day.

Keep in mind these are train show prices, where people go to sell their old stuff. Lots of competition and lots of haggling there. You might do better on e-Bay, but then you pay listing fees, insertion fees, and commission on everything you sell, as well as having to deal with Paypal.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
The lettering on the passenger cars appears to be 'Harbor City, Clinton ad Springfield'. I can't find anything on the net on that road so I'm guessing it was his father's private road. That's going to decrease any value on the cars by a pretty good bit. The age of the E8 set, the big flanges and the fact it's IHC aren't good. IHC had good steamers but the diesels left a lot to be desired. I wouldn't mind having them just for display but only for the right price.

I think it is "Kansas City Clinton and Springfield" on the passengers (but my eyes are bad!).

Yep! That's it. Kansas City, Clinton and Springfield. Thanks Bob. It popped right up on Wikipedia. The line was founded in 1885, bought out by the Frisco in 1928, abandoned in 1934. The line continued to run a daily on the Frisco High Line until the mid 70's. The rails are long gone but some traces can still be seen along route 7 and route 13.

Back