Need Help with BLI DC Analog Controller

bigB

Got the BLI dc analog unit to hook up. sounds easy enough to do. So I follow the instuctions, hook up the one pair of wires to the variable dc part of my more powerful powerpack, and the other i wired with my control track on my longest mainline. Ive been using my Blueline loco to test and im having a couple issues:

1. It negates the use of my Selectors. By that i mean the atlas selectors that you use to control wich segments of track are under control under which power pack. (i have two pwr packs and 3 selectors w 10 sections of controlled track). You can actually center the selectors (off like position) and if the throttle is open and the power is on to either power pack, the BLI engine will make noise and move.

2. The BLI analog controller does not function in a timely fashion. You press the horn button, nothing happens. You press it 5-8 times and finally itll sound. then you cant cut the damn thing off. the bell seems to work a little better, but still has limited control.

Anyone have any input, ideas, suggestions. Barring any breakthru here (thank you in advance), ill be calling Broadway on monday to see what's going on. I did a search here and saw one thread where a guy got a bad unit.

The BLI analog sound controller is only meant to run from one power pack. Since you have blocks, I know of no way to have the block function with multiple powerpacks running two or more trains and still keep block control while using the BLI analog controller. You'll still get the noises when all the blocks are activated (center off)because DC is being fed to the whole layout but you'll have no way to control the engine unless it's in a block that's also controlled by that one power pack with the analog controller.

You'll have to talk to the BLI guys to see about why there's such a lag time. It may have something to do with your block control system.

This is why DCC is such a better alternative to DC and block controls. You can simply leave all the blocks active, hook up a DCC controller, and run as many trains as you have the power to handle and that have DCC decoders with no worries about blocks and multiple power packs.

The BLI analog sound controller is only meant to run from one power pack. Since you have blocks, I know of no way to have the block function with multiple powerpacks running two or more trains and still keep block control while using the BLI analog controller. You'll still get the noises when all the blocks are activated (center off)because DC is being fed to the whole layout but you'll have no way to control the engine unless it's in a block that's also controlled by that one power pack with the analog controller.

You'll have to talk to the BLI guys to see about why there's such a lag time. It may have something to do with your block control system.

This is why DCC is such a better alternative to DC and block controls. You can simply leave all the blocks active, hook up a DCC controller, and run as many trains as you have the power to handle and that have DCC decoders with no worries about blocks and multiple power packs.

ah ha! Alright that makes sense. i may be a dcc convert in a year or so. i have a spare small power pack. we'll see what happens...

Back