Need help putting glass in windows

Hi guys,

What is the best way to glass these. I hate the clouded panes that come with the tichy windows.

warehouse1-S.jpg

warehouse2-M.jpg

warehouse-L.jpg

Also, any color suggestions?

If you don't want to cut clear styrene and place it behind teh windows try canopy glue or Microscale Krystle Kleer. Both of those dry clear. If they dry cloudy you're putting it on too thick and it isn't drying in the center.

On color suggestions: go look at the craft paints at Wally World or Joanne's fabrics or similar store. They have all the colors you could ask for plus a few more!

Nothing looks as good in windows as real glass.
Simply find some slide glass then use your crystal clear to cement t in in.

Kyle -

I use clear plastic salvaged from blister packaging that I would otherwise discard. I cut the clear plastic to size, lay it on the back of the window frame, then touch the edge of the clear plastic with a small drop of liquid styrene cement. The cement is drawn around the frame by capillary action, gluing the "glass" to the frame.

- Jeff

Kyle -

I use clear plastic salvaged from blister packaging that I would otherwise discard. I cut the clear plastic to size, lay it on the back of the window frame, then touch the edge of the clear plastic with a small drop of liquid styrene cement. The cement is drawn around the frame by capillary action, gluing the "glass" to the frame.

- Jeff

I do exactly this too. Looks good if you do it right. Plus it's far more durable than actual glass.

It's also MUCH easier to work with than actual gladd, which is tough to cut without breaking at such a small size. With blister pack plastic you can cut it easily using any xacto knife. Or heck, even scissors.

The trick with 'glass' I find is to have a lighting source that causes a reflection off the windows. Without this you barely notice there is glass there. With a lighting source that causes some kind of glisten/reflection/etc you get a very realistic effect. This can be done with a strategically placed street light in your layout. It can also be done with the normal room lights in your model room too as long as the glass is angled properly to catch the lamps in the room.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back