need help& infro in a bowser 4-4-4-4 duplex

joseywales

Hi,I'm new to this site.. My girlfriend won me a Bowser 4-4-4-4 PRR Duplex off of ebay.. It's the newer model with the super brass detail kit..It's together with out paint and brass ,plus it only has one motor insalled in it..was told it runs fine with one motor..I would like to install a proto sound system in it...Anyone on this site ever put one in there trains? plus is there any mods I should do to improve this train?..

This may still have the 5-pole open frame motor in it. It will be fine IF the motor has the skew-wound armature. Otherwise, the least it would need would be a new motor. The tender on these locos are basically a body with no bottom, and this can hold any sound unit on the HO market.

Let me know how it runs when it arrives, and I'm sure I can help you straighten out any problems. Just drop me a PM.

here the train..its this newer version..this is the pic from ebay..its the #529 kit..from the pics of the kit it shows a bottom for the tender..http://bowser-trains.com/holocos/t1/t1.htm
ATTACH]

Last edited by a moderator:
The one I built last year must have been an older kit. It didn't have a floor. It did come with the two motors, and the gentleman I built it for says it out pulls any 3 of his other locos.

It appears, from the kit instructions, that the engine does have two motors. They are open frame but I can't really tell about the armatures from the photos. If the guy who built this only put in one motor, I'm not clear on why he would do that. The drive train for each set of drivers appears to depend on a motor being mounted above the drivers. Unless he replaced the standard motor with a larger motor and rigged up a drive train going to both sets of drivers, this sounds like trouble.

The tender does appear to have a bottom in the kit instructions but you can drill a series of concentric holes in the tender bottom to let out sound from a speaker.

The first thing I'd do is get the shell off so you can confirm the motor arrangement. Post a few pictures here so we can take a look at it.

I will do as soon as it comes in..Anyone using a ESU sound system? If so how good are they and whats the sticker shocker price on them..?..I want a sound system that isnt hard to install and not to hard on the wallet eighter if theres one out there?

You happend to have there web address? Heres the pics of the train so far..72297[/ATTACH]"]
DSCF0542.jpg
72299[/ATTACH]"]
DSCF0543.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0542.jpg
    DSCF0542.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF0543.jpg
    DSCF0543.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 98
The Tsunami is made by Soundtraxx. Their web site is at http://www.soundtraxx.com/ but you can find them at many places more cheaply than buying from Soundtraxx. Just do a search for Tsunami sound decoders and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Looks like that second motor and gear train is that plastic bag. I would attend to that first and make sure the engine actually runs before I went any further.

I did call bowser and they do have upgrade motors for it at 45.00 each..There brushless can motors.. I'm woundering if I can find them alittle cheaper some were eles?

Back