Need help identifying

Daelith

Ya'll were so good on the last car I listed, I'm hoping some one here can identify this car.

My father had this packed away in an old Varney box, but it said cattle car on the end of the box and this obviously is not a cattle car. He hand wrote beneath that "REA RFR" which I know stands for Railway Express Agency refrigerator car.

I think it is HO scale. Not certain though.

Does anyone here recognize this model? I'd like to know the maker and model number. Any other information you can provide.
I can provide more pictures if needed.

Thank you.

I am pretty sure that is the old Athearn kit. Not sure of the year they came out.
edit: found the instructions for the car ( 50' express reefer on line) copyright date is 1971

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it is an Athearn or not. I have several Athearn 40 and 50 foot box cars and reefers from the early 1970's vintage and they all have the weight between the floor and the underframe, not on the top of the floor as the picture shows. Something that might help with an ID is the Athearns had the snap metal coupler cover. Others used a screw on plastic cover or the frame was an upper and lower half that held the coupler when assembled. Be curious to see what brand that is.

It's either an Athearn or MDC kit.
And I have seen Athearns with the weights inside.

Ya'll were so good on the last car I listed, I'm hoping some one here can identify this car.

My father had this packed away in an old Varney box, but it said cattle car on the end of the box and this obviously is not a cattle car. He hand wrote beneath that "REA RFR" which I know stands for Railway Express Agency refrigerator car.

I think it is HO scale. Not certain though.

Does anyone here recognize this model? I'd like to know the maker and model number. Any other information you can provide.
I can provide more pictures if needed.

Thank you.

Athearn express reefer. kit #5336. Cal Scale did a detail kit for the car many years ago. Phil

Curious why you need the info, these older cars don't really have any real value. Just run of the mill low cost models when they came out.

Thank you for your help everyone.

Curious why you need the info, these older cars don't really have any real value. Just run of the mill low cost models when they came out.
Need the info because I'm clueless as to what this stuff is and what it is worth.
My father passed away earlier this year and trains were one of his hobbies a number of years ago before his health began to fail. Since a number of his items are in unmarked boxed or incorrectly marked boxes, I'm having to reach out to the experts here for help identifying them.

if you can locate a Walther's 1998-2004 catalog that will help some of the older stuff no longer available Phil

Just my 2 cents worth, I have an AHM GP7/9/18 that my grandson ran the wheels off of. I would not take a brass replacement with a Jap Kakamaemi engine for it. beauty (and value) is in the eyes of the " holder".;)

Back