Need help designing a small ho layout

Alright guys, you have probably seen several post about "design me a layout!" And I know this is basically the same thing, but I have tried to design my own and am having no luck. I have a mac so I can hardly find a track software that is easy for me to use, and I have tried some on my girlfreinds laptop but I am just having a hard time knowing the radius with flex track. Here is my rules (LOL!) Its a 4x8 (I know, I know, another 4x8. I am 6'4" and wont have a problem reaching, and if I must I can scoot the table from the wall to reach.) I wanna be able to run 2 trains constant, with some switching yards to play in while my mainline runs. The minimum radius would be the biggest it could possibly be without going off the table (I know its dangerous for a derailment but I'm taking a chance) So minimums like 21 for the inside, 22-23 for the outside? I may be off if some room is needed for track, but you get my drift. LOL.) So yeah, this layout was very interesting,http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/150-HO6, but I wanted to use flex track so I have less joints to solder and such (And a larger minimum radius).
Open to all tips/criticism. Thanks! Ryan

Edit: I decided to go with a 5x9, that makes everything alot easier! that way 2 mainlines can run and I can have switching too. I am currently designing my own layout but if you would like to make one I wont mind! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ryan -

First of all, any layout that can be built with sectional track can also be built with flex track. So if you like the layout in your link, you can build the same layout with flex track, or use that design as a starting point and make some modifications to suit your wants and needs.

For some good information on layout design in general, check out Byron Henderson's Layout Design Gallery. He even shows a few 4x8 HO designs, even though he isn't fond of the 4x8 footprint.

You might also want to look at Mike's Small Trackplans. He shows a bunch of 2x4 N-scale track plans, many of which would be easy to turn into 4x8 HO layouts.

If you are a subscriber to Model Railroader magazine, you can view their large online library of track plans.

All Gauge Model Railroading has lots of track plans. Not the best organized web site but lots of information.

But this is just scratching the surface. If you do a Google search for ho 4x8 track plan, you will find dozens, possibly hundreds of ideas. It will keep you busy for many days.

- Jeff

Thanks for the response!
I have been doing a good bit of googl'n but most of the designs use 18 radius curves, which is understandable. I however have some big diesels and dont want the 18 in curves, so I was wondering what ppl could come up with. I have tried using some track design software, but I have a hell of a time telling what the radius on the flex track is!

The layout design software I use, XTrackCAD, allows you to set a minimum radius for flex track curves and then highlights them in a bright color if you create a curve that is less than the desired radius. XTrackCAD also lets you display the radius of any curve you create. The program is available for Mac OSX, although I have not used that version.

Another random thought. Parallel tracks need to be spaced far enough apart that trains won't collide with one another as they pass. While 2" separation is OK on straight track, you'll want more on curves due to the way cars overhang as they travel around curves. Thus 21" for the inside radius and 23" for the outside radius of a double-track mainline probably won't work unless your rolling stock is comprised entirely of short cars. So be sure you test this before you permanently lay your track.

- Jeff

Thanks for the response!
I have been doing a good bit of googl'n but most of the designs use 18 radius curves, which is understandable. I however have some big diesels and dont want the 18 in curves, so I was wondering what ppl could come up with. I have tried using some track design software, but I have a hell of a time telling what the radius on the flex track is!

The core issue here is that you want to build a 4x8 layout for continuous run, while wanting to use engines which do not like the types of curve radii you get on 4x8 layouts (especially if you want two parallell loops).

You also want to put the layout in a room so small that you have to have the layout pushed up against a wall.

The question, given those conditions, does not have any sensible answers.

Either

a) switch to N scale (where you can do a loop layout on a table with not too tight radii on a 32" x 80" (6 2/3 foot) bench - and still have about the space equivalent to a 5 x 12 foot layout in H0 scale.

b) Drop the continuous run loop and do a long and narrow(ish) - i.e. max 24-30" deep point to point layout along a couple of walls.

c) Find a bigger space with sufficient room to walk all around the layout and build a loop layout that is 5 x 9 feet in an open spot that is at least 9 x 11 feet big,

d) Build a loop layout in a doughnut shape in a space 8 x 6 feet, with a 30" x 6 foot operator pit in the center of the layout. That will give you the option of doing far larger radius curves, since only 1/4 or the curves needs to be on the table, and the curve center can be in the operator pit.

or

e) Put the big engines away and run smaller engines and shortish cars

Smile,
Stein

Ryan, like Stein says, you are going to bang your head against a wall on this one. Double track main and switching in that space in HO isn't a goer! Tight curves on the main, and short tracks with no holding capacity in your switching areas. If you look here http://www.gatewaynmra.org/project.htm you'll get some idea of how much trackage fits on a 8 x 4 board without becoming an AT&NE RR (All Track & Nothing Else RR)- to do the sort of thing you want you need to go to N scale - if you want to go that route try http://tutorial.caroper.com/ or perhaps http://www.awrr.com/photos.html

If you look at these you'll see that you are barely going to fit two cars into a siding - squares are 12" square - all are 8 x4 and note that they're all single track oval.

And here is an illustration of how curve radii can go up when you don't try to force a 180 degree curve onto a 4 foot wide table:

linda-big-city.jpg

This thing takes 6 x9 feet of floor space - not that different from a 4 x8 foot layout with an aisle along the front of the layout.

End curve diameter is 5 feet - i.e. curve radius 2 1/2 feet - 30" - which works for fairly big engines.

Smile,
Stein

If you insist on limiting yourself to 4X8 and require double-track, the best you'll be able to do is about 22" for the outside oval and 19 1/2" for the inside oval. Especially with longer modern equipment, you need more than the inch or two you are proposing between the curves to avoid sideswiping. And you need at least some buffer space along the edges of the layout (remember that radius is measured to the center of the track).

Personally, I have yet to see a room that would hold a 4X8 and its aisles that wouldn't also work with a different footprint that would better accommodate an HO layout (as in Stein's example). But I haven't yet seen every room in the world.

Don't fear the saw.

Well if the board is 48 inches couldn't the outside radius be 22? That wld be 44inches? That wld leave 2 inches for track on each side. I am thinking of this correctly?

Okay so here is the scoop. I understand what you guys are saying! Its sooo hard! I dont know the exact dimensions of the room, but I'll try and draw a diagram to show the room. I dont have much room for anything else that has a continous train.
IMG_00191.jpg

So thats a rough sketch of the room, It can be a L shaped layout but I really itleast want 1 continous train. I need a good bit or room behind the computer because of a computer chair and that my family is always on the computer.

Go measure the room. Then draw the entire room on a sheet of paper, showing clearly what you have measured, other uses of the room etc.

Stein

All it is right now is a room with a computer desk and chair. Plenty of room along the opposite wall, and some room along the north wall.

I would if I could, but its 2 hours away and I wont be there until this weekend. Ahh, the life of a college student.

So what is the hurry? A decent layout will take months to build. Especially if you only can work on it a few hours of some weekends.

It would quite possibly be smarter to build a small layout in your college dorm (or wherever you are living).

For instance the aforementioned N scale 32" x 80" layout - which would give you continuous running, and which is small enough to fit on a shelf above your bed. Or a smaller 3 x 5 foot N scale loop layout, which will be small enough that you can set it up on your table to run it, and put it under your bed when not running.

Mostly the same techniques learned as when building a H0 scale layout. With the added benefit that you won't be leaving a pile of mess in your parents' house between weekends.

Grin,
Stein, who had to mount his bed 5 1/2 feet up between two walls (leaving a 2 feet of airspace above the bed) to find room for a desk, a dresser and a chair in the room I slept in when I went to the university, 25 years ago or so.

I have a huge house that I am renting for school and have nearly unlimited possibilitys here. Only 2 problems:
1. My dad kinda wanted to help and he wont have the time to drive up here to participate
2. I have no tools here for cutting the wood and such. And my dad wont let me take his.

N scale is out of the question. Its to small for me and my huge hands, plus I have already purchased HO stuff.

And I really wasnt rushing the issue btw, I am taking my time. I have been looking into this for a while now.

Alright, I'm just going to make a layout here at my apartment. It can be a 5x9 with acces on 3 sides, 1 5 foot side would be up against the wall. I am trying to design my own layout right now but figured if anyone else wants to make one that would be great. 2 mainlines is my goal, with a yard for switching and a spur or too. I can have elevation, and the track will be on 2 inch foam so it can have negative elevation as well.

Back