Need advise on DCC

RIRRfan

Hi all,

I'm currently running ops in DC. I would like to do remote operations so I can walk around the basement and be able to observe areas that will be in a second room.
My LHS suggested I switch over to DCC and get a zephyr from Digitrix.

As this is going to be a major purchase and jump, what are your thoughts about the zephyr?
Would it be able to handle remote (walk around) ops? I didn't actually see any info about remote.

Also, What could be the expected price range for the system, and a few engines (5) that I would convert over 1st.

The Zephyr will not let you operate you train as you walk around with it. It is a stationary DCC unit the same as a DC unit is stationary. You could buy a wireless throttle and receiver to go with it though.

I bought the Digitrax DB150, 5 amp system and radio control throttles DT400R and UTR, when I started this time in 2007. That way I got that big expense out of the way and would have all of the power ever needed for any future expansions.
The Zephyr Extra was not out then so I could not see getting something that I would maybe need to upgrade or replace. I really did want tetherless walk around control.

The two DCC systems I recommend are the NCE and the Digitrax.

If you go NCE, you have a nice hand held throttle with even the basic system. If you go Digitrax, the Zephyr will take a hand held throttle, as well as the ability to plug in when you have an additional panel or use the DT402 Duplex radio throttle with a Duplex receiving panel, but at that point, you're looking at the prices of a Super Chief or Empire Builder.

The NCE Power Cab and the Zephyr run just under $200. The NCE has the throttle, but the Digitrax throttle could be added to the Zephyr for about $150 more (and up).

Thanks guys,
I was just browsing the Digitrax website and catalog. Looks like I should research more into theSuper Empire Builder Xtra set.
msrp $355 About $100 more than the zephyr set. I can upgrade now (or at a later time) to a UR90 $45.95.

I roughly figured $500 to switch over.

( goes looking for the persuasion stick for the wife)

I recently started up MRRing again and the NCE Powercab has been great for me so far. As mentioned above, the NCE will set you back about 200 clams for the starter kit. This includes the panel you bolt onto your benchwork that the Powercab itself plugs into and a few cables. One cable gives you a metre or two of leash from the connector panel, the other is a non-powered version that you can use to plug your Powercab into someone else's layout, at which point it's just acting as a "procab" (the connector panel supplied allows for two cabs to be connected). You can get an RC version, the only problem is that it's not just an adaptor you can plug in, you have to pay for a 2nd cab that is RC-capable. Everything else is modular though, including the standalone Command Station that you're going to need if you wish to control more than two HO or four N locos at once.

I have a Zephyr with a Pr3 to provide a computer interface to a laptop. Using the free JRMI software, you can use an Iphones or andriod devices as a wireless throttles to control up to 10 trains simultaneously.

Cost for the above was much less that buying hard throttles and I have had zero problems with the withrottle.

Zephyr $125 used
Pr3 $56
Withrottle app for iphone $10. (I have 4 i devices, each can control 2 trains at a time , all for $10)

If you have android, app is free.

200$? modeltrianstuff has powercab system for 150 and zephyr extra for 170.
i think i seen them both a bit cheaper too. and indeed even cheaper when buying pre-owned

without buying into wireless throttles IMHO powercab answers your needs of walking around better.

I second what Anton said. I got my powercab from model train stuff about $149 new. I searched all over the internet and without buying used that was the best price I found. I have had mine for several months and really like the hand held cab. It serves my purposes very well (enough power for 2 or 3 HO trains). Now I am itching to go wireless. I did not want to break the bank so I got the NCE USB interface ($39.99) and a cheap Android pad from china for $85. My plan is to use the free engine driver software for android and run 2 trains wirelessly. I will find out tomorrow how well it works when my android is shipped.
-Art

I use a different DCC system than most of you do, namely the Roco Multimaus :)
I made it wireless by connecting it to my laptop thru a USB interface (rocomotion), and then I use the Roc-Rail program in my laptop together with the Roc-Rail app for Android in my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray phone. They are then communicating via the WLAN at home, it works really good actually!
The only drawback is that I have to have the Laptop running.
If there is a system that can use a WLAN directly and NOT use horrible Apple products, I would be very interested! :)

Digitrax WiFi

If there is a system that can use a WLAN directly and NOT use horrible Apple products, I would be very interested! :)

Digitrax is releasing a LocoNet Wifi Interface Module for iPad iPhone so that meets the requirement of no computer but still needs the apple handheld.

take care ,,, ken

Digitrax is releasing a LocoNet Wifi Interface Module for iPad iPhone so that meets the requirement of no computer but still needs the apple handheld.

take care ,,, ken

:D
As I wrote; without using Apple products! ;)
I can't understand why a manufacturer makes an app for one single brand of phones....
Would it kill them to release it as an Android app?
I guess it would only open up their potential market for the rest of the smartphone owners..... (wich is in the 80% bracket...).
I considered Digitrax until I saw that they made the Apple only product.
If anyone here knows anyone at Digitrax, please ask them how they were thinking? :rolleyes:

:D
As I wrote; without using Apple products! ;)
I can't understand why a manufacturer makes an app for one single brand of phones....
Would it kill them to release it as an Android app?
I guess it would only open up their potential market for the rest of the smartphone owners..... (wich is in the 80% bracket...).
I considered Digitrax until I saw that they made the Apple only product.
If anyone here knows anyone at Digitrax, please ask them how they were thinking? :rolleyes:

As it stands right now, you can run on a Digitrax system using Android phones (or tablets) using Engine Driver. You would still need the PC and wifi, but you would not need any Apple products.

Digitrax's Loconet wifi interface is not available yet, so we do not know all of it's specifics. The only application they have shown it with is one made specifically for Apple products; however, if Digitrax stays true to form, it will be an open interface and if so someone will surely come out with an Android app soon.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the info and input.

I managed to look at an NCE cab at the LHS. It seems to me which ever system I go with I'll be dropping a dime. Only difference I see cost wise is that with Digitrax (LHS has a super Chief) would be less when I upgrade to IR.
If I bought the super Chief All I need is the IR and power supply. LHS has the super chief on sale for $100 less MSRP which would cover the PS and some of the IR upgrade. total would be around $550-600. (for $600 I should just buy the super Chief pro extra. lol)

Check Tony's Train Exchange. I got my Super Chief Xtra with PS there for less than $450 and that's with state tax. No IR though for me. Remember that IR is line of sight - it's not like radio.

My advice is to:
1. Try out any and all systems you can.
2. Find out thru LHS, local club etc. what the most popular system in your area is and get that one. That way, you'll have a "built in" database of people who use the system and they are a ready source of knowledge, should any problem arise.

In my area for example, Digitrax is the predominate system. I have a ready to access group that can help with any problem I may have with my system.

Very good point Toyguy! I had forgotten IR is line of site. However I *think* I may have a solution in that I could move my cab station to a different corner of the layout for better service for both rooms.

I do believe Digitrax is the predominate in my area. But I'll ask the guys at LHS what they sell the most of.

Back