Need Advice on Conductive Lube

diburning

AlcoHaulic
Hello guys,

I have a question about lubricants.

I need a conductive lubricant for my Bachmann Amfleet cars. The trucks are inboard bearing so they don't roll very well (no one has been able to make a decent inboard bearing truck yet). The wheels sit in slots that are metal at the top which act as the pickups for the wheels.

I need some sort of lubricant that will help the wheels roll better, and is conductive so that the pickups still work.

Any suggestions?

Go to any auto parts store, and get some battery terminal and cable protector lube. Its a conductive grease. It lasts a long time as well. I bought 5 little packs and over the part two years I'm still on the first pack. It is plastic safe. I use it on my turnouts to ensure good contact on the points.

Very well. Its in an aluminum packet and all you have to do is roll up the end. I found that the last time it was used, someone who shall remain nameless, (me), didn't reseal it properly. It still squeezed out and was the same consistency as it was the last time I used it. I think that was 3-4 months ago.

What you need is a dielctric grease.
It is used for light bulbs in wet area's.
You can get it from the local auto store.

That stuff is great if you want something to not conduct electricity. I use it on electronic components to keep them from shorting, or leaking electricity, like spark plug wires.

You can get "Dielectric" grease at any auto parts store. It's in a small "toothpaste" type tube for about $3.00. It is an electrically non conductive lube. It will keep for years.

Just to clarify, "Non Conductive" means that it allows electricity to pass through it but will not transmit it between polarities thereby causing a short.

Just to clarify, "Non Conductive" means that it allows electricity to pass through it but will not transmit it between polarities thereby causing a short.

Just to let ya know, I've personally never heard it referred to in those terms. It just sounds strange that you want something "Non-conductive" to let electricity thru. Guess that's why I'm not an electronics tech.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
People,

If it is non-conductive is the same as saying insulating. Plastic is non-conducting and it is insulating. As simple as that (unless you start talking about semiconductors)

Regards,

JL

I forgot about this thread!

I used Kadee Greas-Em which is a dry graphite lube. It worked great! My amfleets run away now!

Back