Need a wiring diagram

Okay gents, maybe I'm stupid, or my caffeine buzz has worn off, whatever.

This will hearken back to the grand ol' days of having blocks on DC:

What I want to do is have a timesaver plus switching puzzle, but with the added time limit stresser of having the railroad be busy with through trains.

Attached is a track diagram. What I would like if for there to be a big ol' loop of track that my little engineer in training would run his train on (best friend's son) while I or my friend would be wracking our brain trying to make moves before he comes through again. The basic plan depicted was featured in Model Railroad Planning a few years ago. I want to add the extra kicker of the main line.

If any master track planners can add more spurs to puzzle around with, please, add them and post a diagram. I want headache inducing complexity. Maybe I'm a sadist. =D

The limits of the switching block would be near the edge of the 81" span. The switching block will have its own DC powerpack, with little engineer having his own. I need a circuit diagram to switch between the two when he comes through town. I will wire it so that we can put our switcher in the clear and have only the main track (middle) be run by little buddy. I would also like to incorporate a couple of block signals (red/green alternating polarity LED variety) into the mix so that when we switch the power source it will also flip the signal to the appropriate aspect. I know nothing about Atlas selectors and connectors and controllers but I think that they have everything I need...I'd like to use those if I can before we resort to toggle switches. Even toggle switches are okay, but still.

Sorry if I am not making sense, its 2:30am...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing the upper track is the main?
Another spur across the main would add some challenge. I threw one in.
Wiring should be straight forward, I won't try to draw up a schematic until the coffee kicks in tho! Just a couple DTDP switches would be simple, a solenoid to a gang of contacts that kills power to aproaching tracks
might be a good thing too.
When I operate on my layout I usually send a couple trains out on their own then try to get the papermill job down the main and into the sidings between trains. Same idea, but I can't yell whoa to anyone! :D

Middle track is the main, and it will fall under yard limits rules to make switching difficult. And for obvious electrical reasons.

This layout will be used on the floor while teaching little engineer how trains work, and the "rest of the world" will be a big loop of EZ track that will connect to both ends of the middle track. I don't really want to add any length to it because 81 inches corresponds to 9 pieces of 9-inch on the other side of the room.

For clarity, better diagram attached.

Back