Need a little advise please.

johnb

I want to set up a small layout and dig out my Engines and rolling stock thats been packed up to many moons. I had the same idea about 4 years ago but maybe this time it will happen! Looking for advise about sources for switches (Atlas) right now, then structure kits, rolling stock kits, etc. The local hobby shops I used are gone now, so I'm probably going tp have to mail order. Can anyone advise on good sources? If anyone knows of any hobby shops if NE Ohio I prefer to deal with a local business when I can, maybe I'm just showing my age.
Thanks for any and all advice! John

If you're going to build a small layout, I'd buy all new track and switches. Go with nickel silver to prevent the brass oxidation issue. If you have old nickel track, you could re-use it, but brass is more hassle than it's worth unless you're on a tight budget.

If you're going to build a small layout, I'd buy all new track and switches. Go with nickel silver to prevent the brass oxidation issue. If you have old nickel track, you could re-use it, but brass is more hassle than it's worth unless you're on a tight budget.
Thanks Bob. I think I have almost enough track and most of the switches I need, nickel silver I bought about 4 years ago when I started this project.

Gonna Hafta Google search your area for LHS, but I would think NE Ohio should have a choice as long as your in the vicinity of those bigger towns…. Personally I use EBay for used and save money, can buy 6 switches at a time for $7-10/each + shipping, half new prices. All I have ever used is Atlas so it’s all I know, probably missing out on the good stuff lol Rolling stock I prefer new, gotta enough of my older stuff to convert, and they are just missing too many small details, new = less hassle. I haven’t had any trouble online shopping, but I would definitely like a local hobby shop to browse and chat…

I used Atlas before but on my switching layout I bought some Peco switches. They have a spring built in and you can throw them my hand (if you don't mind). Otherwise be prepared to not only spend money on switches (turnouts) you also have to spend money on switch machines as well. If I wanted to have my switches turn remotely, I would still go with Atlas, just tried and true over the years. Yeah, you may have to machine on top of the layout instead of underneath but I'm not a real stickler for type of stuff.

If you're looking for freight cars and don't mind assembling them (heck most of my cars are old Roundhouse kits) and your not worried about being a "rivet counter" as they use to say (may still). then order some cars from https://www.tichytraingroup.com/

I still have the steam crane and idle car from way back and also the ore cars. Simple kits, not much detail, but for the price of half of what others are charging, not a bad deal.

Scenery, just can't beat Woodland Scenics for scenery material, always good stuff been around for years. Other manufactures are great too just haven't purchased much from them.

Sorry off topic, I just googled Ohio, don't know where you're at exactly but here's a list

Rob's Trains
3.9(40) · Model shop
Alliance, OH
Closed ⋅ Opens 12 PM Thu · (330) 823-7222
In-store shopping

Big Train Store
No reviews · Hobby store
Springfield, OH
(866) 907-3607
In-store shopping·In-store pickup

The Great Train Store
4.7(7) · Hobby store