NCE Power Pro doesnt lke the QSI? Any Help?

Truckload

I have an NCE Power Pro system. Just had it a few weeks. Works great, love it. However, I have several Atlas engines with QSI Titan sound decoders. When I put them on the program track, the NCE can not read the decoder manufacturer or model. Help!

Also, second issue, I can't get Decoder Pro to work with the NCE. I am using a USB to serial cable. Drivers are loaded. But Decoder Pro can not talk with the NCE. Help!

You need a programming track booster. The QSI decoders draw more juice than the NCE system provides to the programming track. A PTB-100 will fix you up. See it here: http://www.soundtraxx.com/access/ptb100.php

I'd suggest joining the Yahoo NCE discussion group. They can help you with your JMRI issue if you don't get an answer here.

Thank you Espeefan! I think you solved my problem. Now that you directed me to look for "not enough voltage" as the problem, I see there is tons of stuff on the internet about this problem. This is EXACTLY my issue. Problem solved. I am ordering a PTB-100 today. Thanks again.

Also great idea about the NCE group on Yahoo. I found the group and will see if they can help.

I installed a PowerPax unit on my layout, and now I have no problems with programming all locos including Soundtrax and QSI. The only issue with the PowerPax is the manual wants the user to have a totally isolated programing track. I had a section of one track hooked to a DPDT switch so that section could be the programming track or switched to regular mainline with the DPDT. The PowerPax specifically warns against that setup and says it will fry the PowerPax. So I created a completely isolated section of track on a shelf under my layout for the programming track, and it works great.

I have an NCE setup and the reason I was told and read for the low voltage on the programming track is to avoid blowing decoders when testing. If you happen to wire one up wrong, the low voltage is supposed to save your bacon.

G'day..I've just started with NCE...just the basic Powercab..Never had so much fun.....After battling one or two inferior systems I can't speak highly enough of it's ease of use. One day when my layout is more substantial I'd like to go with an NCE upgrade but that's a way off yet..I even managed to be able to programme fully a pesky but once running beaut MTH SD70ACe...with it...The others couldn't handle it...I understand that with complexities some issues might occur but it's still a great system.Would be interested to see how those with wireless NCEs feel about theirs...Cheers Rod

G'day..I've just started with NCE...just the basic Powercab..Never had so much fun.....After battling one or two inferior systems I can't speak highly enough of it's ease of use. One day when my layout is more substantial I'd like to go with an NCE upgrade but that's a way off yet..I even managed to be able to programme fully a pesky but once running beaut MTH SD70ACe...with it...The others couldn't handle it...I understand that with complexities some issues might occur but it's still a great system.Would be interested to see how those with wireless NCEs feel about theirs...Cheers Rod

Rod,

I upgraded my Power Cab with an SB5. It's great but you loose the ability to see how many amps are going to the track like with the basic Power Cab. Other than that, you can run as many loco's as you like.

I'd love to hear about others with the wireless setup as well. I have had several times where carrying the throttle around would have been a great feature (convenience).

Wireless NCE

Rod,

I upgraded my Power Cab with an SB5. It's great but you loose the ability to see how many amps are going to the track like with the basic Power Cab. Other than that, you can run as many loco's as you like.

I'd love to hear about others with the wireless setup as well. I have had several times where carrying the throttle around would have been a great feature (convenience).

Thanks RC Shadow....I did have a Bachmann Dynamis wireless for a while...was awesome for when you were round the other side of the table etc..but the amount of batteries in the handset became a problem..You need two sets of 4 ..one being used and the other set on charge...So there's pro's and cons with Dynamis but Ireally don't know about the recharge capabilities of NCE as yet...Hopefully someone will tell us....Cheers Rod..

Back