NCE Power Cab

DetroitConrail

I have a NCE Power Cab system. I want to to have two operators. I want to know if i can just buy the wireless throttle and add it to the system ? Any help would be nice .

The NCE Power Cab does not have any wireless capability, so the answer is "no."

One option might be to get the NCE USB interface for your Power Cab and connect it to a computer running JMRI that is also connected to a wireless router. Then you could use a iPod, iPad, or Android device as a wireless throttle.

Although I have a Power Cab, I am not very knowledgeable about NCE wireless systems. I suggest you ask your question in Yahoo's NCE-DCC group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCE-DCC/

The knowledge in the group is incredible!

- Jeff

I have a NCE Power Cab system. I want to to have two operators. I want to know if i can just buy the wireless throttle and add it to the system ? Any help would be nice .

NCE does have a radio system with a variety of throttles. But you can't just buy a radio throttle and go, since there's nothing in the base Power Cab kit to receive the radio signals. You'll need to get their base station (radio receiver) which will connect to your Cab bus, as well as at least one radio throttle. A single base station will support several dozen radio throttles IIRC... Hope this helps!

Thanks for the response. I just didnt want to have to dish out that extra money for a procab when there's only going to be my son and myself. this way i'm only coming out of about a additional 200.00. I instead of having to buy all new gear

Two PowerCab unit itself can plug into the base unit supplied with another PowerCab using the coily cord that comes with them. This is what my brother & I do on occasion.

Another, cheaper alternative is to just get one of the basic throttles and use that. Mind you they're not that much cheaper.

What they said - wireless is available but it is not cheap. Yes there is a possibility to control your trains from smartphone with the 50$ nce USB adapter but it will be quite a task to setup ( not sure if you interested in all that computer control thing)

So the quickest way is probably to just get another powercab ,(perhaps pre opened from eBay) plug and just run with that (after quick cab address change of course)

The Power Cab can be sent to NCE to convert it to radio. Cost me about $60.00 2 years ago. Call or email them to find out all the other things you'll need to make it work right. Went to radio because those plugs always break & didn't want wires always in the way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back