NCE or TCS for decoders?

Which Decoder's do you prefer to use in your engines?

• NCE

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • TCS (Train Control Systems)

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Trucklover

BNSF SD70MAC's
Guys, tell me which decoder's you prefer to use in your engines, TCS or NCE?

What do you like about them?

I like TCS. I've had three NCE decoders over the years, and all three gave me problems. I think I just had really bad luck, but have no intention of trying again.

I haven't had any problems with TCS decoders. Some folks at my club have used TCS's replacement service after "letting the smoke out" and were very happy with it.

Don't worry about buying decoders from the same company that makes you DCC system, that doesn't matter as long as they are NMRA compliant.

And, on the other side of the coin, I've always used NCE decoders and they've never given me any problems except for the one I smoked myself. :) OTOH, I've never used TCS decoders so I'm a poor test subject. NCE decoders are reasonably priced and seem to hold up well for me.

I have used NCE, MRC and Digitrax in N scale.
NCE seems the best, just pop it in and porgraming is easy.
The 1 out of the 3 MRC decoders turned up dead and the Digitrax one keeps losing its CV settings.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to go with NCE. I only have a few, but they have been going for over 5 years. Never used TCS because so many of my MR buddies had troubles with them.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

Now i know that TCS offers the "goof proof" if you burn em up send im in and they will send you a new at no charge, but does NCE do that too?

Josh, NCE will replace any decoder, no questions asked, for $10 plus $2 for S&H. They will replace any defective decoders for a year at no charge. From what I've seen, TCS decoders average about $10 higher than most NCE decoders for the same engines and amp rating so it evens out in the end.

Josh, NCE will replace any decoder, no questions asked, for $10 plus $2 for S&H. They will replace any defective decoders for a year at no charge. From what I've seen, TCS decoders average about $10 higher than most NCE decoders for the same engines and amp rating so it evens out in the end.

Jim Thanks for the info!!

Walthers carries NCE but not TCS, so thats why i was wondering about NCE's no questions asked policy. It sounds like they are both about the same in the end if you dont blow em up LOL

Back