Narrow gauge rail?

Lateral-G

Chief Test Pilot
I'm going to be laying rail soon on a new narrow gauge layout and was wondering which is preferable: code 70 or code 55 rail? I plan on using ME flextrack for the majority of the layout.

I'm personally leaning towards code 55.

Any thoughts?

-G-

Very few narrow gauge railroads had deep pockets so they always used the lightest rail they could get away with. Even code 55 is big for most narrow gauge routes but way better than code 70. If you want a real challenge, the best narrow gauge layout I saw was handlaid with code 40 rail. Sure made those overgrown sidings easy to do. :)

Thanks.

I was wondering how well the rolling stock would do or if you have to change wheel sets for ones with deep flanges when using code 55.

-G-

Amything built for narrow gauge will have flanges that can handle code 55 just fine. Getting down to code 40 is a little more iffy but, if you're really going to get into narrow gauge, you'll end up with a complete machine ship so you can turn down any flanges. :)

I plan on using ME flextrack for the majority of the layout.

-G-

Be Careful using Narrow Gauge ME flex track. Our club layed our whole narrow gauge protion down, and then we realized to our horror that there are tight spots in the track. There are some tight spots that are tight enought to hold up a NMRA track gauge.:eek: I would advise against using ME flex track. We ended up replacing all about our ME track with Shinohara track.

My 2c,
Smoke

Be Careful using Narrow Gauge ME flex track. Our club layed our whole narrow gauge protion down, and then we realized to our horror that there are tight spots in the track. There are some tight spots that are tight enought to hold up a NMRA track gauge.:eek: I would advise against using ME flex track. We ended up replacing all about our ME track with Shinohara track.

My 2c,
Smoke

Thanks for the heads up.

Unfortunately it seems most places are out-of-stock with Shinohara track.

Do you know of a good source with flex track on-hand?

-G-

Back