N scale turnouts

kylewoody

Hey guys,

I have Atlas code 80 turnouts right now on my N scale table layout, but they seem to be hit and miss - some of the points themselves are sharp and have good throw, others seem blunt and not 100%. As well, my 2 axled diesels (Geeps) run great on them, but two different 3 axled locomotives I have run on them ( a friend's SD70, and my SD60) have deadspots with bad conductivity.

What are some good recomendations on better turnouts? Does Micro-Engineering or Peco make any for N scale, and that work well? I would prefer solid metal frogs (the Kato Unitrack has them, and works well), along with pre-sprung points? I thought I heard that Peco's do, but maybe that's just HO scale.

Thanks!
Kyle

Peco makes both N scale code 80 insulfrog and electrofrog switches, just like in HO. I'm not convinced you couldn't make the Atlas switches work with some filing of the points and a little nail polish but Peco is certainly a good replacement if you want to spend the money.

Thanks Jim - I tried both filing and doing the polish trick - but my SD60 still hates the turnouts. And my rolling stock sometimes as well, due to the points shifting slightly.

That's why I also was wondering about different turnouts than the Atlas - I wanted more resistance in the points, so they will stay. I heard that Peco's are pre-sprung as well?

I have some Caboose throws, but don't like the look or function of them - I prefer the finger method if possible...

Kyle

Kyle, Atlas switches will never work well without some kind of positive latching mechanism like a ground throw. The points are not sprung and need tension to hold them in place. Peco's are sprung so you don't need a ground throw but I think you're overlooking an issue. Changing routes using your finger will work but you'll have no visual indication of which way the switch is thrown. That might not be a problem for a switch you're throwing to bring a train out a siding but it will be a problem when you want to run a train over that switch and you forgot you already threw it for the diverging route. The ground throw can have the handle painted red for the diverging route and green for the main. I use red and green glitter nail polish of this and the colors really stand out. The ground throws aren't very prototypical but they have save me several time from running a $300 locomotive right into the back of a standing train at a siding. Even if you decide to go with Peco, I think you still need to come up with a way to show you which way the switch is thrown from a distance.

Back