N-Scale Track Plans for Shelf Layouts

Nice video, great layout and scenery. I've been looking at shelf layouts and bought Kalmbach's book on layouts which is very informative. I'd recommend the book to anyone thinking about shelf layouts. Talk about ease of maintenence, it's ideal for that.

Thank you railnut49.

I think you're talking about "Shelf Layouts for Model Railroads" by Iain Rice. He was advocating the use of small, shelf layouts back in the 1990s, when they were popular in the UK but not in the US.

I recognize that you're mostly just trying to get eyeballs and clicks for the many ads on your site, but the ThorTrains shelf layouts you link to might be the worst layouts ever designed. The image you included on your site is probably the worst of the worst.

The ThorTrains shelf layouts should never be recommended to anyone for any reason, IMHO. Sorry to be harsh, but they are that bad.

Interesting to get two opposite views about the plans listed in the articles. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Thanks, Byron, for your comments.

By cuyama:

The ThorTrains shelf layouts should never be recommended to anyone for any reason
I would have to agree. What I saw looked like someone tried to straighten (unsuccessfully) some tie wire. Didn't look to be much operating potential, especially without a locomotive escape on most of the shelf layouts. Others looked like an over use of a compass and french curve.

I wish the boards had a polling feature, so it could be put to an efficient vote.

But since that feature isn't available, I'd like to ask anyone who reads the article to pay particular attention to the Thorsten Trains subsection under "N-Scale Track Plans from the Sheils."

Then post here in a message whether to "Keep" or "Reject" that section. No explanation is necessary.

Depending on the final tally, I'll either keep or replace that section with something more acceptable. And I'm open to suggestions of replacement N-scale track plans.

Thanks.

You can create poll's on these forums...the option is at the bottom of the new thread page (just not sure if you can add one by editing the first post of the thread):

I think a poll is in order. Maybe we should vote on what people think about users using the forum to get folks to their websites?

I recognize that you're mostly just trying to get eyeballs and clicks for the many ads on your site, but the ThorTrains shelf layouts you link to might be the worst layouts ever designed. The image you included on your site is probably the worst of the worst.

The ThorTrains shelf layouts should never be recommended to anyone for any reason, IMHO. Sorry to be harsh, but they are that bad.

Byron,I don't think "bad" is a strong enough word for those whatever they're suppose to be.

With all due respect....Why is it so "bad" if someone has a website and some people like and want the stuff and others do not? What is so wrong with someone having a website? I don't have one yet but might someday.

Different people have different interests. That being said.....I like to hear the pros and cons about different layouts.....while respecting the opinions and preferences of others. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think that it is always bad, especially if what is offered is of value. What I would object to is substandard product, advice, etc. given or sold to someone who may not be knowledgable with respect to the subject matter. I know that this could sometimes be subjective, other times not.

Personally, I enjoy websites others have put up. Most are quite interesting and I would rely in somepart on the opinions of others, especially if I was just learning. After becoming more informed I would be able to form my own opinion and rely less on that of others. But that doesn't mean I would ignore them altogether.

Back