N scale starter set?

puck4877

Hey guys
I'm just getting started in the hobby I plan on building a nice layout
With my two son's. We have an 8ft wide 11ft long room that we're going to
build some tables and shelf's in for the layout.My biggest question is whats the best brand to get started with? i'm thinking of spending around $250

Thanks!

Hey guys
I'm just getting started in the hobby I plan on building a nice layout
With my two son's. We have an 8ft wide 11ft long room that we're going to
build some tables and shelf's in for the layout.My biggest question is whats the best brand to get started with? i'm thinking of spending around $250

Thanks!

If'n it were me, I wouldn't go with a starter set. I'd get some track down first after getting an idea of what you want to do. Then maybe get a good locomotive( Atlas, Athearn, Kato), rolling stock, which can be picked up cheaply enough on ebay or sales at the LHS. Get a good power supply like MRC. Then start scenery work.
How old are the boys? Hopefully old enough to really get involved in the layout and scenery decisions. This will be a good hobby for all concerned. Congrulations on your decision to go railroading, and have a ball.

Paul O.

Personally I dont see anything wrong with getting a starter set, you're going to need a power pack to test your electrical flow to the track on your layout, you're going to need some cars to test your track work and lastly you're going to need an oval of track to break in any future locomotives that you purchase, I think starting with a starter set is a very good idea.

I think the Atlas trainman starter sets are great value for money, and Atlas is a good brand to start with. If you have the money and can afford it then Kato is also a good way to go.

thanks for the input guys I ended up ordering a Kato Amtrak p42 superliner starter set. And a rail yard switching track set V3 to go with it. I'm going to get my plywood and 2x4's tomorrow to build a nice table

That is the current starter set I would recommend. Kato starter sets are well worth the money.

I can't remember which switching siding that is, but hopefully it is the one with the #6 turnouts. The #4 turnouts are the only Kato track product anyone ever complains about. I have #6's and #4's, backing up over the #4's with my GS-4 always derails. Never have any issues with the #6's.

That is the current starter set I would recommend. Kato starter sets are well worth the money.

I can't remember which switching siding that is, but hopefully it is the one with the #6 turnouts. The #4 turnouts are the only Kato track product anyone ever complains about. I have #6's and #4's, backing up over the #4's with my GS-4 always derails. Never have any issues with the #6's.

The #4's have the same problem as the old Atlas snap switches! You have to file down the points some and notch the stock rail like you would with the Atlas snap switchs and they will work as good as the #6's! I got 6 #4's and I sharpend and ground the points down with my dremal and emery board. Now they work great I can back a whole train through them with out a problem!
picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:

It is the set with the #6 turnouts. Thanks for the info about the #4's i'll stay away from anything that will cause problems until I become more skilled at this stuff.

It is the set with the #6 turnouts. Thanks for the info about the #4's i'll stay away from anything that will cause problems until I become more skilled at this stuff.

The mods to a #4 are very simple and only takes 5 mins to preform with a dremel tool! so no real reason to avoid #4's they are a great switch!

Do you think you can circle the spots you modified? Someone on the trainboard mentioned this, I just have not gotten around to trying it. I am building benchwork right now.

good thread.

i'm going to be making decisions on track for a (probably) 3' x 5' layout in the relatively near future. the kato M2 pack seems like a pretty solid investment, and an atlas trainman set with the figure eight add-on pack seems like a pretty good deal, too.

you can also get some of the smaller bachmann sets for like $50. if your standards aren't super high and your budget is pretty limited, as is mine, that's not a bad jumping-off point.

The Bachmann sets in N are not worth the money even as cheap as they are IMO. EZ track turnouts are terrible and the engines they make in N are not very good unless they are Spectrum. I started with one and all but the cars are a loss. I literally almost gave up on N scale because of the Bachmann set, so I always steer people away. But I guess as long as you know it is truly "you get what you pay for" with the cheap sets, to each his own.

Altas makes excellent locomotives in N, but I have no experience with their track since I went Unitrack after a bad experience with EZ track.

I could not get the Sante Fe Starter set in Kato when I was looking, so I bought the M2 for my starter and my trains separately. Ended up being about the same price. The M1 is the same set that is in the Starter set but without the train, and the M2 add a siding to the same set, which is nice. I really love Kato sets, very high quality.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back