N Scale Stake-Side Flatbed Semi Trailer and Storage Shed from Leftover Trailer Box

NScaler

Engineer in Training
I have a few trailers leftover from my truck conversions so I tried to think of something to build with a couple of these trailers. One idea was to convert one to a stake-side flatbed since I always liked those trailers. I don't want to throw away the trailer box so I have decided to turn it into a shed.

As usual I kind of researched photos for one of these. And I know this is a toy, but I am loosely basing my model on this:
smstake2_zpse1dec4ac.jpg

Here is the trailer I will be using:
20140214_234735_zpsjzup3z6m.jpg

I am just starting this and will take lots of pics as I go. So if interested... stay tuned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Kevin,

When I was selling truck, farm and industrial tires for Firestone in the late 80s I have seen all kinds of converted trailers and trucks for farm use. In Maryland they did not have to be inspected to get agricultural use tags. You would be surprised what some of the farmers came up with and how old some of the equipment was.

That rig in the first picture reminded me of those.

By the way the second picture does not show up.

Thanks for sharing your work!

Edit: Picture link fixed.

I like the first truck for my build because you can see the A&P trailer has a rounded front end as well. So I am going to try to build mine similar to that. I wish I had bought some corrugated styrene when I was at Hobbytown.

Classic Metal Works. Sorry, I usually mention that in my first post.

Here it is disassembled. The trailer just snaps down into four small slots around the perimeter. The wheels just pull off the axle:
20140215_080758_zpsujpdkado.jpg

If you like A&P do a search on ebay for "CMW A&P" and "Atlantic & Pacific" and "A&P". I found all kinds of cool HO stuff. But I am not seeing this semi in HO scale.

Making a little progress before we go shopping. My wife wants to go to an outlet mall and I have agreed to go because there is a really good tool store there. So I will continue this this evening when I finish the honey-do's.

Here are a couple bosses that will get in the way of the plank flooring. I am going to save these "donuts" for a later project:
20140215_091102_zpsywqjo7vu.jpg

The top of the trailer is flat. I need a lip around the perimeter of the trailer to contain the flooring. So I cut a .075" strip out of my .010" black sheet styrene and commenced to gluing it on the side of the trailer:
20140215_091548_zpsa9fakrwy.jpg

Using the Plastruct glue this formed around the curve rather easily:
20140215_091728_zpsape0ehng.jpg

Here the edging is done except for the trimming. You can see this creates a nice lip for the wood to lay into:
20140215_092613_zpscytvt9qk.jpg

There is already a lip at the rear of the trailer. It made it nice that I didn't have to try to glue a piece in there.

Got the front surround on. Working on the floor now:
20140215_150246_zpsmnrp50az.jpg

Looking at this those mud flaps have to go. I will probably replace them with some thinner, more to scale versions.

Ok guys. Here comes the wood...

Getting everything cut. The sides are 2". The stakes are cut long to 1/4":
20140215_230125_zps0ngi3ka7.jpg

I found some thick 3M double sided tape. This worked great to hold the sides while the stakes were glued in place. Everything was spaced by eye:
20140215_230135_zpsyyaxdqns.jpg

I started with the end stakes. Then I measured and marked the center and glued the center stake in place:
20140215_230751_zpspfsmeqje.jpg

Then I measured to the center of those and glued the last two stakes in place:
20140215_231307_zpstrh8lzeb.jpg

Both sides are now complete:
20140215_233115_zpsl2kpcsds.jpg

Test fit of one of the sides:
20140215_234828_zpsai9nvl8z.jpg

Starting on the floor. I worked my way in from the outside:
20140216_002802_zpsydxrjdpu.jpg

Flooring all cut and ready to glue in place:
20140216_005011_zpsnvfjlgo6.jpg

I used the Plastruct Plastic Weld to melt the floor of the trailer. This worked well to hold the wood down on my flatbed truck I made a couple weeks ago so I used the same method. Some of the black plastic managed to work its way up between the wood, and it made an effect I actually like so I left it and coated with some matte finish after a light sanding:
20140216_010714_zpspbvdbssk.jpg

Here the side boards are glued in place. I just used Elmers White Glue for this:
20140216_011824_zpsx3imfmnn.jpg

Next up - Mud flaps and rear door.

Thanks for the compliment Louis. I am getting the hang of things again. It's only been 20 years since modeling anything in N scale! I wish my eyes were still as good as they were then :p

I will hopefully get a little time tonight to start on the shed. I am still trying to decide on a floor for it because it is open on the bottom. I was thinking maybe I can model a concrete slab.

Hey again!

Its not a compliment, just telling it like it is.

What I did to compensate for my failing eyes is to use lots and lots of light from several sources to prevent shadows. I also like a mix of fluorescent and incandescent light, it seems to help.

Now all I have to do is find a way to compensate for my arthritic hands.

Upgraded mud flaps. The originals had a draft angle that is modeled into the part to help it release from the mold easier. That made the mud flaps really thick at the top as you can see in a previous photo. These look much better:
20140216_120109_zpsffdggpv5.jpg

Here I am starting on the rear door.
20140216_130540_zpskayvkajn.jpg

Took a little break but will hopefully be getting back to this project in the next day or so. All I have left to do to the flatbed is paint and decals.

I am trying to come up with details and foilage for the storage shed and am planning a mini diorama with it. I need to buy some tires and pallets and junk to lay around it. So stay tuned. Updates coming soon.

I mixed up some paint to stain the stakes with:
20140318_194223_zpss3kibu04.jpg

Here is the final result:
20140318_194942_zps8mtr9w1t.jpg

I still have to come up with a color for the truck and some decals so I am switching gears and moving onto the shed part of this project. I went to Menard's awhile back and they had a "craft" display setup in the tools section. They had miscellaneous wood there. I found a deal on a bag of bass wood in various sizes. It was all a tad large for N scale, but I am surprisingly finding uses for it every time I model something. It was like $8.00 for enough wood to last me a long time. Anyway, here is a piece I plan to use for the base of this mini diorama:
20140318_195601_zpsmqqb2lmv.jpg

This base will become a worn concrete slab. I plan to litter the scene with tires, pallets, and various clutter to make the shed feel used. I am ordering some detail parts to add to this scene. Tomorrow I will get a little more done hopefully. I had plans to work on this longer tonight, but I had to watch the kids for a few hours tonight. More to come soon.

Love the stake-side flat bed. Nice work. My LHS has those bags of basswood. And you are right, they last for ever. Happy modeling.

Back