N scale Shay

I ordered a flatcar with a decrepit Shay (its for looks) for my logging mountain. It will be a perfect addition....... This summer I plan to get a new Atlas N scale shay loco for my logging mtn. I already have a lumber mill up there and plan to add a go-nowhere track and use the flatcar w/shay as a static display.

Anyone here have experience with previous incarnations of the Atlas shay loco?

I ordered a flatcar with a decrepit Shay (its for looks) for my logging mountain. It will be a perfect addition....... This summer I plan to get a new Atlas N scale shay loco for my logging mtn. I already have a lumber mill up there and plan to add a go-nowhere track and use the flatcar w/shay as a static display.

Anyone here have experience with previous incarnations of the Atlas shay loco?

I have seven first run Atlas Two Truck Shays released in 2005. I installed Lenz 521W decoders in the seven Shays. Its the smallest decoder that was available at that time. Below is a closeup photo of one of the Shay's on the roster of the "new" JJJ&E.

new_1201.jpg

NICE! The new run of Atlas shays are due in June. How quiet/smooth does it run and how hard is the DCC install? I hope it can run (aprox) 8"r curves, my tightest curves on my layout, it runs a level circle at my highest elevation w/track.

NICE! The new run of Atlas shays are due in June. How quiet/smooth does it run and how hard is the DCC install? I hope it can run (aprox) 8"r curves, my tightest curves on my layout, it runs a level circle at my highest elevation w/track.

The Atlas Shay is beautiful to watch as you watch the gears move on the engineers side of the locomotive. The maximum speed should be no greater than 8-9 MPH and should handle eight inch radii. The DCC installation is difficult. A TCS Z2 decoder is your best choice. The Z2 wasn't available in 2005 when I used Lenz 510W's for the decoder installations in my seven Atlas Shays.

The 8" R track is Arnold made, imported by Revell.It's very old track but in great condition. Because of the tight radius I used only this track for a simple circle, no mixed track so not fancy stuff. I am thinking of doing things with the scenery to spice it up a little. That section is currently DC only anyway and does not connect with any other trackage. My layout is a mixture of DC & DCC/DC switchable. Sounds a lot more complicated that it is.

I am looking forward to my Shay.....

Back