N-scale: picking rolling stock to work with code 55?

Rigby

I will finally be getting a switching layout together and need some help choosing rolling stock. The layout will be done with Atlas code 55. It will be set in the current period on a small branchline here in Maine. I will have the track laid in the next few weeks and would like to be able to operate on it while I'm getting structure kits together, etc. Can any n-scalers recommend product lines or specific car kits that will have wheelsets that are compatible with Atlas code 55?

First thing is don't get anything that was made more than about five years ago or you'll have to trade out the wheelsets, since the flanges will be too big. Almost anything made recently or that is currently for sale will handle code 55 track. I think there's general agreement that Micro Trian cars are the best detailed and best rolling but they are also the most expensive. Atlas and Walthers both make nice freight cars with code 55 compatible flanges. They are not as well detailed as the MT cars but they look fine and the price is a lot less. any of these would be fine on your layout.

Back