N scale engine amps

budinoh

Anyone know where I can find the operating amps for Atlas engines? Need to determine what size power supply to buy for my DCC system. I know how many trains I want to run, just need to figure out the amps combined.

Thanks,
Jeff

I'm not really sure this info is posted anywhere because it varies depending on the load, and very very few people ever pay attention to such things. I have seen such info on "in-depth" tests in magazines, but trying to find the issues you need would be very difficult. I usually figure .5 amps per locomotive and then add in a healthy "fudge factor", so for 6 engines I'd need 3 amps, and I'd look for a 5 amp supply. Doubling your supply over what you need isn't a bad option. If you are working your supply at near max, it will tend to run hot and live a shorter life.

Jeff,

I think the rule of thumb is for non-sound engines: .1 amp for each engine sitting on the layout and .25 amp for each engine running. I use a 5 amp command station and have had as many as 10 operators. I don't remember how many diesel lashup might have been run, but we did have one sound equipped engine.

If you use sound equipped engines the real problem maybe restarting after a short. A 5amp command station may only restart 5-8 engines. Every engine on the layout counts unless it is on a track that is turned off.

Your mileage may vary.

Glenn

From Lenz:
2.5 Amps of DCC track power can supply the demand of five N scale locomotives with 0.5 amps each, but only 2 Large Scale locomotives which consume 1.25 amps or more each. Want sound? No problem but remember that sound locomotives can add another 1/2 amp each. That's why our Set90 and Set100 come with an integrated 5 amp power station
From NCE: NCE Powercab System
An entire DCC system in the palm of your hand! This 2 Amp system can operate 2 or 3 HO sized trains, or 4 N scale trains. This cab provides all of the capability and ease of use that you’ve heard about in our Power Pro system, at an entry level price. Installation is a snap. Hook two wires to your track and plug in the cab. You’re off and running trains! Even includes 110V/240V power supply

From DCC by Design: All motors draw more current when they start then they do once running. Therefore, you need to select the power based on starting current for your locomotives. The following table provides some guidance on starting current:

Type Motor Sound Unit Lights Total
N Scale New – Basic 0.25 amps none 0.125 amps each 0.50 amps
HO Scale New – Basic 0.50 amps none 0.125 amps each 0.75 amps
HO Scale Old – Basic 1.00 amps none 0.250 amps each 1.50 amps
HO Scale – Sound 0.50 amps 0.5 amps 0.125 amps each 1.50 amps

A 3.5 amp system will power two HO units with sound, or three to four units without sound, depending on the locomotives. In N scale, the same system will power about five locomotives, depending on their age.

These are conservative estimates, and remember, the figures given are "full load amps", which you'll seldom see in actual service. I have a Powercab and I can run more than two units with it. I think for modern Atlas N I would consider 1/4 of an amp for normal service, .5 peak, and go from there.

This is like the old "stall test" for installing decoders. I never use it, because if you think about it, when do your locos ever actually stall in service? If properly designed, never. If they do stall, the motor is under sized, and don't buy it. They should slip when they exceed their max pulling power.

How many trains to you intend to have running...realistically?

Back