N Scale Beer Line

Hi Aaron -

Are you referring to the original 4 x 12 foot HO track plan from 2009? If you scale that plan directly to N-scale, it will convert to a N-scale plan that is approximately 2.5 x 7 feet. If you have the space, then a 3 x 8 version would be even better (slightly less crowded).

Depending on which brand of turnouts you use, you might have to make some small adjustments to the track plan, but basically, the N-scale plan should look very much like the HO plan. That's not always the case when you convert from HO to N-scale, but in this case it should be straightforward.

If you search with Google, you will find a few discussions of N-scale versions of the Beer Line.

- Jeff

Here's a N-scale version of the 2009 Beer Line track plan using Atlas Code 55.

The original HO plan was drawn with #5 and #6 turnouts. There is no #6 turnout in Atlas N-scale Code 55, so I used #7. This changed the track geometry somewhat, so the plan is not an exact duplicate of the HO version.

I omitted the curved turnout on the left side, and I made no attempt to preserve the modular nature of the original track plan.

- Jeff

Beer_Line_N-scale_750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jeff,
I like the Atlas track plan. That's what I am looking for . . . something I can use to buy the track and components to build the layout without over buying components and track. I wonder if Kato track is any closer to the HO track? What do you think?

Hi Aaron -

The layout above requires the following Atlas Code 55 N-scale components.

7 | Atlas 2050 #5 LH Switches
7 | Atlas 2051 #5 RH Switches
5 | Atlas 2052 #7 LH Switches
3 | Atlas 2053 #7 RH Switches
17 | Atlas Code 55 N Flex Track Sections

I imagine the layout could be built with Kato Unitrack, but it would look a bit different. Unitrack has #4 and #6 turnouts, and it does not offer flex track of course. I'm no expert on Unitrack, so perhaps someone else will jump into this discussion with some comments about Unitrack.

- Jeff

Here is an improved version of the N-scale Beer Line, still using Atlas Code 55 track. This one is a little more faithful to the 2009 HO version.

Beer_Line_N-scale_750_2.jpg

This version includes the curved turnout.

Parts List:

7 | Atlas 2050 #5 LH Switch
8 | Atlas 2051 #5 RH Switch
5 | Atlas 2052 #7 LH Switch
2 | Atlas 2053 #7 RH Switch
1 | Atlas 2059 21.25/15 RH Curved Switch
18 | Atlas Code 55 N Flex Track Sections

It's worth noting that Atlas N-scale Code 55 track is currently out of stock at many dealers due to production problems at Atlas' Chinese factory.

- Jeff

Hi Jeff, Thanks for all your hard work. When I build it, I am going to build a modular version just like the original HO version. I also model in O scale and I am a certified MTH technician, but I only have a small O gauge layout. The Beer Line will really allow me to do lots of switching, which I like.

Hi Dwayne -

I have attached the XTrackCAD file for the Beer Line track plan above. You'll have to unZip it before use.

- Jeff

Attachments

• Beer_Line_N-scale_7.zip
    3.9 KB · Views: 216
For those who may be interested, here's the 2017 version of Model Railroader's Beer Line layout in N-scale, using Atlas Code 55 turnouts and flex track. The track plan is laid out so that with minor modifications it can be used to create a modular version of the layout similar to MRR's HO Beer Line.

I have attached the XTrackCAD file for this track plan.

- Jeff

Beer_Line_2017_N-scale.jpg
View attachment Beer_Line_N-scale_Expanded_2017.zip

I plan on constructing the upper half of the Beer Line in HO scale to use as a yard and switching area on my layout. In HO the layout planned will be 2.5 X 12 feet.

May use Code 70 track, still not sure.

Thanks.

Greg

Back