N Scale Athearn UP 4-8-8-0

NScaler

Engineer in Training
N Scale Athearn UP 4-8-8-4

I just saw this engine in my LHS and it was one of the coolest model railroad engines I have ever seen. The detail was superb and I was immediately drooling. I can get it for an average price, and being bought from my LHS is a bonus. Do any of you guys have this in N scale? If so, what are your impressions of it? I really want this engine, especially after seeing it in person. But I am curious how well it runs. The guy at the shop said the N scale version has trucks that rotate so it will make it around some very small radii. My smallest mainline rads will more than likely be above 16". Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a friend with one, he runs it on local trains during my ops sessions. Runs through Atlas code 55 #5 turnouts. It should handle your 16" curves as well. The only issue I have with my friends engine is that he is hard of hearing and the sound is waaaaaaaay tooooo loud. It doesn't matter too much right now as it is normally the only sound engine on the layout, but I expect that to change over time.

Hope this helps! Remember your milage may vary.
Glenn

You sure its a 4-8-8-0 and not a 4-8-8-4?

Yeah, that was a typo. I fixed it :p

I am actually going in Wednesday Carey to pick this guy up. They told me my rail came in and they also mentioned they had a Challenger coming in and I don't want to see it until I can save up some more MRR money LOL.

The N scale Athearn 4-8-8-4 is one fantastic steam locomotive. It's performance is outstanding. The 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" pulls over 60 cars on the "new" JJJ&E. I have five "Big Boys" on the roster of the "new" JJJ&E. The N scale Athearn 4-6-6-4 is also an outstanding N scale steam locomotive.

Cool. I figured it was a great lkcomotive to restart my collection with.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk

Back