My NS SD60E 6920 Veterans Unit Project

bigB

I decided about 6 months ago to build the SD60E #6920 NS Veterans Unit. I've been going about it slowly and methodically.

I started w a new Athearn sd60 I got for a good deal. I stripped it with alcohol and painted it. The paint job is pretty straightforward.

The cab here is the key obviously. I debated trying to kit ash one, and there's a guy who did a nice job on the unit on the MRR forum. I ultimately bought a new and improved 3D printed Crescent Cab off a guy that produces them on Shapeways. They are not easy to work with. Way more brittle than traditional plastic, doesn't sand well, but ultimately worked out ok.

I put in a great deal of detail parts in: mu hoses, front and rear ditch lights, sand hatch covers, coupler cut bars, operating front and rear led ditch lights, and led headlight and taillights. I remotored it with a new Kato motor, put in a Loksound decoder, and added a high bass Railmaster hobbies speaker. Added a dynamic brake fan unique to the sd60e, added some grills unique to the sd60e at the back left rear, and added the electronic brake area.

In this pic, yes, I know the nose isn't red in the prototype. It was just easier to initially paint it this way.

0CB97EA9-F789-4519-9ABA-6703CF61F6C3_zpsympfhsfb.jpg

I'll post some pics of the progress thus far later. For now, I gotta go to work...

Brad

Cab and shell...the grab irons have all been added which were a pita. I added a PTC antennae farm to the top of the cab bc I learned that the unit has had one added very recently. I used a Type 1 model from the guy who sells them on eBay.

8B012A7C-4754-43BD-B7B5-28BA09F16A23_zpscsye7ix4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Frame w front and rear detail parts applied. Here you can see the front and rear led ditch lights.

92FC2D1A-1CDE-4FB1-9BC1-608894F3D185_zpshhq0kwfi.png

Close up of the front pilot. It still needs some touch up paint to the top of the ditch lights.

CB6B8A84-1F38-456C-8C33-790126053CB2_zpsdvylgisd.png

Here the cab, shell, and frame have been temporarily put together. This is from an earlier photo before I put the frame/pilot details on. The wires you see are from the front and rear led headlights and tail lights.

9985EF25-A509-4717-A70A-87CB1D1E29F3_zpsojnljxco.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This week I'll put on the window frames then put it all together and solder the LED leads to the decoder. Then I will decal and clear coat. Lastly I'll put in the sun visors and wind deflectors as those always seem to get broken off if you put them on before decaling.

Brad

More progress...I was really trying to have this wrapped up by Veterans Day but work keeps getting in the way.

28D5FC4A-FE92-4A71-B77A-B11414BFA513_zpsehotcb3o.jpg

That's really nice work bigB.

Thanks! Have I mentioned what a pain those little tiny decals are? I hope to get the other side decaled, get the front decal on, get the handrails on, and get the sun shades and wind deflectors on Tuesday.

Brad

Ha! Yeah I've seen that video a few times and it never gets old. I wish my paint job was that good.

Thanks for looking,

Brad

Fittingly, I finished it in Veterans' Day. It's not perfect, but it's very good and it was built all by me with pride.

F62791F0-6BAB-4806-9115-8189B7056245_zpsxd0qcjbn.jpg

Back