My Northern Pacific Butte Montana Layout.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

NP2626

In my opinion - the Lowey Paint Scheme wins hands down!

Both you guys make good arguments on the cost aspect.
I agree on the Lowey Paint Scheme, my problem is it came out in 1954 and I model 1953. Would one year really make that big of a difference? No, as I'm not a hard core stickler about following the prototype. Maybe someday I will make a Lowey schemed train. Just not terribly important at this late date.

Patrick

I agree on how expensive this hobby could be. 90% of my stuff is purchased at auctions and estate sales. Yes I have some JUNK in the mix, but I have some really cool stuff as well....Now to get it running and working.

NP2626

I had purchased a bunch of MDC Roundhouse and Athearn Freight Cars, the first 10 years I was in this hobby. I sold off many of these cars on Ebay when I decided to replace most of them with more detailed cars, like Branchline, Proto 2000, Red Caboose, Intermountain and other more detailed kits. When most modelers felt that these more detailed kits were too difficult to build; or, the manufacturers learned they could sell more by offering them as pre-built RTR, this is when the prices of rolling stock went absolutely bonkers! I also determined that the details on the more detailed cars were not noticeable in HO when the cars were being pulled around in a train and that distinguishing the difference between the highly detailed cars and the old MDC/Roundhouse and Athearn cars really didn't make much difference to me. So, the hobby took a tack with the pre built and higher prices of rolling stock, than I was willing to follow! Now, my only requisite for rolling stock purchases is that it is a kit!

Possibly, some of you who have purchased built Athearn and MDC Roundhouse freight cars off Ebay have purchase some of my old rolling stock.

Last edited:

ModelRailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.