My Next Kit Bashing Project

stationmaster

Crusty Old Geezer
I want to use a Mantua Big Six to bash a cab forward engine. I've located the parts, just need another engine, as I hate to destroy the engine I already have. I even have "blow-by-blow" instructions.

I've got some pics of an 0-4-0, and could do that one, and I may well do that. But, I think that an 0-6-0 would be a bit more believable.

As soon as I can figger out how to post a couple of pics I will.

Bob

Here is an excerpt from an email sent to me by a buddy that did the project. I have pics but can't figger out how to get them from my email to the boards. I'm a bit technology deficient.

The info: "the cabforward is really easy. Its a kit from Dan Bush at www.yardbirdtrains.com. I think it costs around 15 bucks for the complete kit. I plan on doing anther so I do not have any assembly photos to send to you. But I can give you a blow by blow on how to do it. The first step is to find a Mantua 0-6-0 or 0-4-0 switcher. Some come with the extra valve gear but most do not. If you use the 0-6-0 you can use the drivers from the 2-6-2 Prairie as they all have the valve gear. That is what I did on the one I made. Next step is to take off the cab. What you do is cut off the overhang on the rear of the cab flush with the cab body. I use a cutting wheel on my dremel tool or you can use a razor saw. Then you mount Dan's diecast cab forward front. The bell and marker lights and details need to be added as well. I glue it with super glue gel, works great. The key is to get it on nice and flush. I then use a little body putty if needed to hide the seam. Let it dry and wet sand it. On the front of the boiler, cut off the headlight and file it flush. The detail piece on the front of the boiler is included in dan's kit as well. You then add the pumps to the side of the loco. (I just remembered, I have pics of an 0-4-0 I will send later) Onto the tender. Two choices here. In dan's kit is an oil bunker cover. you cut out the coal pile and glue it in. Second choice is a plastic oil bunder that just glues over the coal pile, what I used on the 2-6-0 I had last week. Add a ladder and marker lights on the rear of the tender. You have to remember to turn the wheels around to pick up off the opposite rail on the tender since the engine will be running backwards. You can flip the drivers instead if you like. To connect the two you have to cut down the drawbar so it will fit in the front of the loco. It screws in where the front coupler would normally fit. Last run the pick-up wire out toward the tender. That is it, takes about 2-3 hours time including paint. I will send the pics in a minute or two. Any other questions feel free to ask or call me. Dan has some pictures on his site as well of the cab forward. He is a super guy and will help with anything you need."

Jim, PM me your email address and I will forward the pic file. Maybe you can figure out how to load the pics here.

Bob

Here ya go, Bob. This is easy is you have Photobucket account. The reason you can't post directly is the files are too larege. If you're still on XP, you can download a picture resizer from the Microsoft website that will resize pictures so they fit on a forum. I don't know of any such tool for Vista yet.

DSC00070.jpg

DSC00072.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00120.jpg

DSC00121.jpg

Thank you, Jim. Being technology challenged I do appreciate it. If'n it were an automobile, or a boat engine, I coulda fixed it.

Bob

Back