My newest acquisition

Ronzzr11

I went to the local football stadium today, for the train and toy fair that was being held there.As usual, it was very busy, with plenty of railway models for sale. However, very few US railroad items were to be seen. I did manage to find an Athearn SD70, in EMD demonstrator colours. It looks to be brand new,and cost me £70,($115).
Once I got it home, I fitted a set of Kadee couplers, and the sunshades to the cab. I still have to paint the end hand rails white,and glue on the windscreen wipers.
It runs well, and makes a good stablemate to my other EMD demonstrator, 7001.

Ron

Attachments

• 7008.jpg
    7008.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 210
An update, EMD run their demonstrator locomotives with a dynomometer car,to check their locos are performing properly. I found a Walthers stainless passenger car, at the train show I went to a couple of weeks ago.Its not a perfect match for the EMD car, but after I resprayed the trucks silver,and the underframe blue, it makes a reasonable stand-in.

Ron

Attachments

• emd.jpg
    emd.jpg
    328.1 KB · Views: 166
Its all HO scale.
Ron

Hi Ron, I notice there has been a swing towards American modelling in the UK, I guess people over there are learning that reliability and great running is available, from an exPat in Oz that used to model British but has now been into American N and HO for 8 years or so.

Your new locos look great at 70 Quid they were a bargain..

All The Best
Dave.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the bug for American modelling when I went over to Pennsylvania for the first time, and saw Norfolk Southern locos coming up the Horseshoe Curve.
American models can be bought over here, but the train fair I go to, has about 99% British stuff.So I usually buy a suitcase full of stuff everytime I go back to the US.
Ron

I like your equipment but I really like your Avatar.

My grandfather worked for the PRR, first as a brakemen, then as a firemen and finally as an engineer.

The Pennsylvania Railroad, "The Standard Railroad of the World"

Back