My new Layout

Good thoughts guys and points taken.
I did get started with joining up the areas using cardboard strips and hot glue ( ouch a few times) I'm only concerned with the trestle being supported well which it is and the rest is just for looks. I'm still not sure how I will do the outside perimeter of the benchwork but that will have to come eventually. I may have to do it the extra heavy duty way and build the ends of the trestle and lower base out to the existing benchwork, more wood but at least it would be even if I decide to use the hardboard.
1418779377139-2064768269_zps6ffda062.png

1418779309946-2119132229_zpsb970015d.png

I got the waterfall area buttoned up pretty tight with a nice cardboard weave and started on some plaster cloth. I'll give the plaster cloth a skim of plaster when the entire area is complete.
IMG_20141217_041640_zps5a5c8166.png

IMG_20141217_041644_zpscf0cc760.png

IMG_20141217_043443_zpse328c4e1.png

IMG_20141217_200255_zps3325b280.png

IMG_20141217_200303_zpsa1128f89.png

Thanks guys. I need to figure out how to deal with the corners, old bench work to new drop down area. I'll post a couple pics and maybe someone can share some ideas so I don't make it look dumb.

Looks like the scene is really coming together well. Waiting to see the finished product. Well done so far.

Hell, for a six pack, I'll do your whole scenery :)

Lynn,

If I am understanding you correctly, you could use PoP to 'mold' the corners/edges. If I am on a totally different road then ignore that suggestion.

WOW! I just now read through this whole thread- this is really incredible. Looking forward to more! As a newbie in this model railroading thing, this is very, very impressive. Honestly, I had no idea how elaborate these layouts got, and the detail and skill level involved to create these scenes- I'm amazed. Well done, Sir. Kudos. Wow.

Thanks guys, you's are wayyyyyyyy too kind and I hope you's get more than a chunk of coal in your stockings this xmas.
Tony I know what your saying and I've thought of doing as you say but for this area I think I will try boxing in the two ends and and the front to follow the contour of the hill , pop would really be the easiest way but I'm always willing to put myself through trials trying knew things. kinda like a sucker for punishment.;) Its been suggested I give a solid backing first , I'm thinking make it all even sides with 1x4's then as suggested a first backing of 3/8 or 1/2 plywood then I'm thinking hardboard on top. I already have a sheet of hardboard from when I boxed in some duc work in the other part of the layout room and I think I have some 1/2 inch plywood in the shed. darn work is really cutting in on my me time but just one more nite shift tonight and I should be able to get right at this.

WOW! I just now read through this whole thread- this is really incredible. Looking forward to more! As a newbie in this model railroading thing, this is very, very impressive. Honestly, I had no idea how elaborate these layouts got, and the detail and skill level involved to create these scenes- I'm amazed. Well done, Sir. Kudos. Wow.
Welcome to the forum, if you take a real good look around here you will find lots of great works that even amaze me, always lots to learn for all of us. Just a matter of how much you want to put into the project.

Lynn,

No matter what you do, I know it will look darn good. I am like you as well - a sucker for punishment, it's what makes doing this so much more enjoyable :)

Tony your too kind. I tend to start off rough and try to finish up not so rough.
I did get a little something together for boxing in the trestle scene. As I said rough.
IMG_20141221_185333_zpsfaa899cb.png

Can't say I ever would have thought of that idea. I was thinking to finish it off with Masonite and give it a leg for support.Have you ever seen it with foam board? Wouldn't mind seeing a photo.

Lynn,

Haven't seen it done for what you are doing but can't imagine it being any different to building a mountain really. Bear in mind that I am also assuming there will be something on the inside of the fascia to give it support as well. It looks like you will be filling the bottom of the 'box' with scenery or a river.

Just want to clarify that I am only talking about the 'walls' so to speak, not the base as well so you could still have your supporting legs.

I don't know, it was just a thought that might or might not work, but if you were to use 1" extruded foam with a layer of plaster cloth (or two) over it, I think it might work. Essentially, you'd be making a box with foam instead of wood.

Back