My Modern S-FL Realistic Freelance Layout CAD Design-Benchwork

brickbuilder711

FEC Train 222
I will show the first stages of my future layout here...

Thing.jpg

You have several 3-ft or longer reaches in your corners like at the Cemex plant. Can you reach that far without problems if those corners are up against walls?

Where will you be operating from? You have two duckunders or a duckunder and a removable section. Some people find duckunders inconvenient. Are you sure you can live with two? You could cut the auto / intermodal area into two peninsulas so you can walk through.

I do like your overall plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have several 3-ft or longer reaches in your corners like at the Cemex plant. Can you reach that far without problems if those corners are up against walls?

Where will you be operating from? You have two duckunders or a duckunder and a removable section. Some people find duckunders inconvenient. Are you sure you can live with two? You could cut the auto / intermodal area into two peninsulas so you can walk through.

I do like your overall plan.

Thanks...

The layout will be graduated. Cemex and those long sections to the likes of it will be attained over a separate construction and be applied once ready. What I probably didn't have in mind at 1:00 ish AM was that a CSX local shoving cement hoppers would have to answer to a nonexistent manual turnout... So I will reinnovate the area and split up the duckunder.

At the young age I am, I can probably handle the circumstance of ducking under the boards. If otherwise, I can make a removable section in the middle of the yard using T Bolts to carry electricity or as you said, make it a peninsula.

The single track section is a planned removable bridge.

Here's a completely overhauled plan. More space, just as many industries, graduated layout too so I don't spend too much before moving out since I am a teenager...

Plus... there are no 3 foot reaches. My wingspan doesn't allow :p

ModelRailroadPlanRev2-1.jpg

Final game plan. The previous was too much, too costly, and fairly unapproved. This plan is small, buzzing, and has room for expansion. Approx. 10x13 feet. I have lots of space to move around.

I like it. Only thing I would suggest is a couple more yards tracks. But overall, looks like a great layout.

I like it. Only thing I would suggest is a couple more yards tracks. But overall, looks like a great layout.

I'd add a runaround somewhere on that long spur on the inside of the layout that runs past the ethanol plant to the warehouse.

(Are there ethanol plants in Florida? Grain elevators? For grain or peanut exports maybe? Guess I'll have to do some research...)

Addendum: Nevermind. I see there are cellulosic production plants down there.)

I really liked the plan that you did in post #5. But as you said, that one looks like it could cost a bit more track wise then your latest one. That being said, your final plan looks pretty good!

Hi Brick B,
I think it good your taking a look at things and making changes to see what you like better before you jump into doing things too deeply.

I did notice that your newest plan, which I think does offer quite a bit too as well as being able to accomplish it with less effort, seems to be drawn 90* from how you might want to have it along the 17' wall rather than the 13 as shown? Could be just the way the program has of doing things?

Also, in keeping with your willingness to change, realize that even though it's cad drawn things will very probably not go down exactly as drawn so you'll need to revamp things accordingly which can be a lot of fun too to create different variations as you see fit as you go along.

Keep us posted.

Thanks everyone!

Beachbum, Q453 regularly carries grain hoppers to a plant in Okeechobee, FL.

Trussrod, my computer is widescreen so it looks better to have the wide view down. Plus, that's how I look at the layout room once I go in.

Unfortunately, going back to XTrkCAD and deleting items is not easy, so I decided to convey my modifications through Paint.

The turnout to the warehouse is not necessary. Plus, although it may require a little extra lumber, moving the lower yd track down can add yard space and allow two more tracks to be added. The warehouse may be deprived of its diagonal characteristic and have a second warehouse track, adding yet another customer to the list.

FinalPlanRev2.jpg

Back