My model railroading got me a job!

cyclebrkr

Hello all,

I was talking with my boss at my mid year review a few days ago and the subject of model railroading came up again. When i interviewed six months ago, i was talking with some now fellow engineers (i work for a Aerospace company), and the subject came up. I told them about my experiences and projects with the club layout and they seemed really interested! It turns out that a lot of the work that i do is with small assemblies for scientific research aboard the ISS (International Space Station), similar to working with model trains. Lots of small hardware and parts.

So the boss man tells me that one of the main reasons i was hired was that i was used to working with small parts and assemblies. He even went so far as to say that my previous Spacecraft experience may not have been enough on it's own. I guess that the modelling skills (what little i have) really paid off!

This hobby has given me so much through the years, but this really blows my mind. I've even met a few fellow ME's that are members of different clubs or have really well done layouts of their own. Just thought i would share as i think this is important info. Maybe more people should mention this hobby while interviewing, you never know.........

Stephan

In the past I never mentioned the fact that I was a model railroader or that I had any interest in trains, period. It seemed that if you did all you got was a knowing look that you knew was not meant in a complementary way.

Fast forward 20 years and now I am no longer reluctant to mention my hobby. Truth be known, I feel that people are much more receptive of a fascination with trains than in times past. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm older now, but there does seem to be much less stigma attached to playing with trains. I think that train shows and swap meets as well as railroad days type activities have played a large part in the general public's recognition and understanding of this great hobby.

Congratulations, by the way, and good luck!

Model railroading indirectly got me my job as a model maker for Laika Studios (ParaNorman just came out this weekend). I got the job based on the experience from my last job as an architectural model maker and got that job based on some rr models I showed my boss. It is amazing how much I have since learned that helps my model railroading, well, it would if I had some time to do model railroading.

Model Railroading has much to offer all who engage it's opportunities. Glad to hear of your progress.

Back