My made up railroad

Modeltrains2021

Hi there my friend and i turned this mantua b&o pacific into my own railroad painted it and decaled it what do you think?
20221201_084923.jpg
20221201_084918.jpg

I had one of those many years ago when I started. I painted the cab roof and tender deck freight car brown on mine (like the PRR did).

Get some masking tape or painters tape, when you want to paint an area a different color put the tape down along the edge and then use a something to rub the edge down to make sure it is very tight on the surface, especially if it crosses a seem or rivet line. Then paint, it will give you a much cleaner line. Scotch tape only works on very smooth, flat surfaces and can pull up paint when removed, so it's not as good for masking.

If you have trouble with the paint running under the tape, a trick is to paint a coat of the base color first over the joint where the tape is, for example, on your engine, black. If you do that the paint that runs under the tape is black and then that paint dries and "seals" the tape so the color coat is less likely to run under it.

Using the tape gives you a nice clean, sharp line that steps the look of your engines up another notch.

Back