My Layout benchwork so far

Chemdawg

This is the benchwork I have done so far. It's built in 6 sections that are able to be dissassembled. I took one section out now that I am going to cut down and lower a section of it to give the appearance of low ground for my bridge/lake/river, or whatever it's going to be. But there will be a bridge going over the top. Photo 21 shows the section that will get lowered. It's not the whole thing, just a part of it. Here is a link to my photo's.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74346321@N02/

The track that is placed in that photo, is only an idea. It's going to change again now to include the bridge. My yard is at the top and will be a bit larger. I will also make an additional section that will go from the yard to the center area (kinda of an island) for the addition of a turntable which I don't have yet.

I'm not doing ANYTHING prototypical. It's all coming from my head and it's about my personal satisfaction.

Its looking really good. Lots of room to run trains and for scenery.

Congrats! Looks good! Are you using EZ-Trak? I've used it in area as well as Kato large radius curves to save time. Both I've found to be reliable, however I haven't used either's cross overs or switches.

I got more pics to post soon. I have the backdrop up. I used 3/16" drywall on two sides as the backdrop, and I now have the pink foam cut to exact size and about to glue it on. The track has already been laid out so I know what I want and where. It is bachmann track which is fine, but the turnouts suck. I took out the original solenoids and used a pin vice to drill through the turnout lever thing and am using tortoise machines to control the turnout. The points stay MUCH tighter to the rail. Also you have to file the points with a machinists file so they stay much tighter to the rail. After a little tweaking they work good. In the next day I will be laying the track back out once the foam is dried. I'll take more pics soon.

Chemdog,

Looking good! I'm thinking of a similar modular layout and was wondering what your radii of curves are. I have some passenger cars that a minimum 24" radius is recommended and was throwing me fits as I conceptualized how the heck I was going to do a dog bone or loop at the end. I finally realized a small rectangle or square should suffice. I'm limited to an 8'x8' or 8'x10' (2 feet wide all around). Do those triangle areas help with curves?

Back