My HO "L-Shaped Switching Layout" (96"x92"(16" Shelf Width))...

Great progress to date-very inspiring. What type of fasteners did you use to attach the facia? I think your proposed mod to the yard area looks good, and keep things moving on the main.

I've got another idea for you. On your photo with the proposed new trackage how about the following:
put a curved switch in, back by the tower in the distance, as a yard lead for the yard(you'd then have a passing siding near the engine house, main track, then yard lead/tracks, on seperate lead), which might give you space for an extra car or two in your yard or on each track. Yes, it might mean the enginehouse might be closer to the front of the layout, but the trade off is that it will give you more railroad. Reaching to a track against the wall/backdrop shouldn't be an issue if the shelf is only 16" wide from what I see in your photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks man! Not sure on the fasteners I used on the facia...I will post later. As for the curved turnout....I 100% agree with you buuuuut I can't find a curved turnout that will work for me. I can only find one with a 17" inner radius and another with a inner 30" radius....too extreme for me. The curve on the bridge leading to the yard is about 23".

Justin,

Great progress to date-very inspiring. What type of fasteners did you use to attach the facia? I think your proposed mod to the yard area looks good, and keep things moving on the main.

I've got another idea for you. On your photo with the proposed new trackage how about the following:
put a curved switch in, back by the tower in the distance, as a yard lead for the yard(you'd then have a passing siding near the engine house, main track, then yard lead/tracks, on seperate lead), which might give you space for an extra car or two in your yard or on each track. Yes, it might mean the enginehouse might be closer to the front of the layout, but the trade off is that it will give you more railroad. Reaching to a track against the wall/backdrop shouldn't be an issue if the shelf is only 16" wide from what I see in your photos.

Got two UP5's in the mail today...pretty excited...lol.
IMG_0152 (2).jpg

I don't have the facia on this piece of bench work yet but wanted to get it up and running. The hole needed is 1.5"H x2.5"W.
IMG_0154 (2).jpg

I used a Dremel MM20-03 to cut out the pocket, worked out really well.
IMG_0155 (2).jpg

IMG_0157 (2).jpg

The Dremel makes for a super quick and clean cut.
IMG_0158 (2).jpg
IMG_0162 (2).jpg

I just used some self tapping screws to mount the UP5.
IMG_0164 (2).jpg

I also got a UT4 in the mail as well.
IMG_0166 (2).jpg

I also picked up a new Semi for my grain elevator....I not sure it would be used for grain but more for wood chips...oh well. :)

Trucks N Stuff HO SPT3046 Peterbilt 389 Sleeper with Walking Floor Trailer, Joe Olson
IMG_0169 (2).jpg
IMG_0172 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Digitrax set up. I see you have changed from a switching layout to a full room layout now. Is there any room for scenery on the extra area you put down?

While I had the bridge out, I put up a 24" tall back drop. I have vertical supports every 20" or so.
IMAG0830.jpg

IMAG0835.jpg

View of the new section in front of the closet, it's about 10" wide.
IMAG0834.jpg

Another shot of the new bridge section. On the left side of the picture will be future removeable bridge, for when I get sick of ducking under.
IMAG0850.jpg

Preliminary track planning.
IMAG0852.jpg
IMAG0860.jpg

I made sure to brace the section that sticks out that connects to the bridge section.
IMAG0856.jpg

Back