My first scratchbuilt sturcture

ZimDalf

Based on the Scratchbuilder's Corner column Jan, 2013 in Railroad Model Craftsman.

So now I have my first board on board scratchbuilt wooden door! :) Yup those are HO scale 1 x 4s! :)

Attachments

• IMG_3896.JPG
    IMG_3896.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_3897.JPG
    IMG_3897.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 137
Looks like you're off to a good start! I've been planning an attempt at scratch building a rural wooden bridge in N scale. I've got most of the scale lumber and have taken measurements, just need to get some pictures and I'll be ready to dive in. Keep showing your progress because you're going to be my inspiration!

Nice first attempt!

I'll have to dig out that magazine because I've got a building that I converted into a backwoods cabin and need to replace the doors with something more prototypically correct.

And now it's done! I'm happy how the roof turned out. I didn't want it old and rusty. I used Hunterline weathering mix creosote black and then dullcote.

Attachments

• IMG_3898.JPG
    IMG_3898.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 134
A lot of people can be scared off of scratchbuilding a structure, but once you have a few under your belt, it's really easy. Nice work. Looking forward to more. The door is open!!!!

On to bigger and better builds. Here are a couple that were done about 20 years ago. Needed something to fit in a certain space and ended up having to scratchbuild. It's really a lot of fun.

IMAG0010.jpgPicture%20296[1].jpgPicture%2520303[1][1].jpg

Cool! Did you scratch build all the interior too? I want to do that. But still have lots of kits to build first. Glad I have one under my belt though, feels good to say I scratch built something! :)

The interior was scratchbuilt too. I did use available castings for the chairs, phone, radio, potbelly stove and cash register, but used small nails for the stools and used avail;able materials for the floor tiles. The windows and doors were also scratchbuilt. Guess I had too much time on my hands. This structure and the freight station were made from wood, whereas the cabinet shop was built using evergreen styrene products. Don't let not having a kit stop you from having what you want on your layout. You did the right thing by starting on a small structure. You had good results. If you continue, things will become easier. There are manufacturers that have windows, doors and other parts available, as well as castings for interior details. Here are a couple of closer pictures of the freight house. These details are rather simple but can make a scene a lot more interesting.

pictures 1525.jpgpictures 1526.jpg

Awesome! Ya I see many good websites with good help and supplies for scratch building. I guess that makes scratch building different then in days past but I like it. And anyway none are needed if someone wants more challenge.

Back