My first Rail Power Products Loco

Well I just finished (except handrails) my first Rail Power Products Locomotive, a B40-8, and I am not really impressed. First there were several molding issues or defects with the body, IE extra plastic that had to be scrapped off on the exterior of the shell. Also extra flash that I had to scrap away and I accidently took too much now there is a gap between the cab and the shell. The number board for the cab did not fit well. I had to get rid of two round peices to make it flush but it still does not line up very well to the roof of the cab. I am no means an expert at this so the fault lies with me somewhat. Also the directions while adequete, could have been a little better. I had to reread them several times for them to make sense. This was supposed to be a unit that would eventually be P&W 4003 but I don't think it stands up to the quality of the others, including a newly painted and detailed Athearn BB done by jbaakko. I think this will be a test unit for me to play with.

Hi !

It's often the problem of kit #1 instruction not clear and #2 pieces that it's not always fit.

The major part if that you enjoy your hobby and try to make of your best. Another important point it's that you take experience and the next "kit" will be better.

You can post close picture of what you don't like and maybe that someone can help you to make a better looking.

THanks !

Also, in the box there are 2 small "plates" made of plastic I assume are for the couplers and 1 small brass looking nut. Where would I get couples for this? Knuckle preferred.

Was it a black, or light gray shell?

RPP shells are never the best shells, they just had the distinction of releasing stuff no one else made.

I'd recommend replacing the coupler pockets with Kadee, or something like that...

Was it a black, or light gray shell?

RPP shells are never the best shells, they just had the distinction of releasing stuff no one else made.

I'd recommend replacing the coupler pockets with Kadee, or something like that...
Josh, it was a light grey shell.
So are these products a lesser quality product?

Kevin,

Of the 3 manufacturers of HO scale Dash8-40B models, I would rate them from best to worst as:

BEST = Atlas
Better = Walthers
Worst = Rail Power Products (no longer in business)

Dan

Rail Power came out with these conversion kits way back when there was no alternative. Many of the molds went to Athearn and were improved.

RPP stuff was never meant to be "great", just acceptable. The higher your skill level, the more tweaking you could do to make them more acceptable. I bought a RPP CF7 kit, and about a month after I got it done, Athearn released them as complete RTR locomotives that made mine look amateurish at best.

You may want to do with your -8 what I did with my CF7, and that is paint and decal it, heavily weather it, add rust in strategic places, and park it near the engine service area as an ostensible parts source for the new RTR ones.
Doing that, you don't really have to add window glass or even a motor. If you want to move it around, the shop goat can perform the task.
IIRC, P&W's dash 8's were the LMX B39 version, and the ones I've seen after returning them to the lessor were, umm, "grungy". The grey paint was faded badly, the red stripes, lettering, etc was white, and there were rust splotches and streaks all over them.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1021553

Last edited by a moderator:
Railpower shells are ok. You need to get window glass for it, replace the snap-in fans with cannon fans, buy a BLMA grab iron template and drill holes for grab irons, paint it up, and you're done!

Back