My first HO scale model kit build!

Hi there, folks!

It has been quite some time since I've posted anything on here. But I wanted to show you folks a little of the stuff I've been working on...My first official HO-scale kit project! I have built up a kit of a white house with blue trim and a gray roof. The house required only a little glue, but I had none when I built it. So I decided against adding the blue trim of the roof to give the house more of a natural appearance as the porch roof does not have a blue trim to go underneath it. In addition to this, I will be attempting to make some nice trees to adorn my newly built house. And if I have any of the included adhesive left over, I'll use it in order to reinforce the fragile porch as it has a tendency to fall apart otherwise. I have included a few pictures of my project below so far so as to give an idea of how it's coming along. Note: My house also includes lighting, but I haven't had it installed yet as I have no way to power the light.

1: My first official HO-scale residential structure is highlighted below in its package along with a learning kit for making trees...

DSCN0279_zpsivuregwi.jpg

2: The house is completed in the next shot and shown at a diagonal front angle...

DSCN0282_zps7hn6jqws.jpg

3: The final shot shows the back view of the completed house.

DSCN0283_zpsleopyth6.jpg

Good Afternoon SS
Congratulations on your first HO kit build. OK now, I'm not being critical here but I need to point out that those little white cylindrical things along the bottom of the upper fascia and along the bottom of the railings of the porch, are "mold ejector pins" and should be trimmed off. I have built this kit also and the instructions do not state that. On mine, I did not install the lighting as it only does one window. I am saving it for another project and have installed curtains in all of my windows.

Willie

Not meaning to hijack your thread, but here is a picture of mine. I added Uncle Joe and Aunt Lucy, otherwise it's close to identical to yours except the roof trim that you intentionally left off. Maybe so OldGuyHO.
02-15-16 002.1.JPG
Click for larger image.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Not meaning to hijack your thread, but here is a picture of mine. I added Uncle Joe and Aunt Lucy, otherwise it's close to identical to yours except the roof trim that you intentionally left off. Maybe so OldGuyHO.
View attachment 55835
Click for larger image.

Willie

:D Thanks very much for the congratulations! And very nice indeed, Willie! I guess I'm not the only one who's a fan of Aunt Lucy. Wait, she's married to Uncle Joe? Very nice! Although I can't really decide if my version of Aunt Lucy's house ought to be owned by Aunt Lucy or somebody else perhaps. Oh if only I could get my hands on an HO-scale rocking chair or two with a couple figures to match...XD! As for the mold ejector pins...What would be the best tool for me to use to trim those off should I happen to decide on doing so? Update: I've also used a little adhesive to secure the porch better.

This was a good kit to make for a first-timer. The instructions for Walthers kits are usually not as detailed as this one. Use an X-acto knife with a # 11 blade if you have one, or use a single-edge razor blade. They should trim off easily, just be careful and cut away from any body parts you cherish. Ditto here on the adhesive for the porch. I don't know about rocking chairs. I used a "park bench" leftover from some kit I built long ago, and I think those are Woodland Scenics figures. In my world, Joe and Lucy aren't really married, she's just a very "saucy" lady. When I finally plant this structure on the layout somewhere, like you I will be adding some trees and a dog or two.

Willie

This was a good kit to make for a first-timer. The instructions for Walthers kits are usually not as detailed as this one. Use an X-acto knife with a # 11 blade if you have one, or use a single-edge razor blade. They should trim off easily, just be careful and cut away from any body parts you cherish. Ditto here on the adhesive for the porch. I don't know about rocking chairs. I used a "park bench" leftover from some kit I built long ago, and I think those are Woodland Scenics figures. In my world, Joe and Lucy aren't really married, she's just a very "saucy" lady. When I finally plant this structure on the layout somewhere, like you I will be adding some trees and a dog or two.

Willie

Oh okay. Well, I don't have an X-acto knife with any blade yet. I doubt I even have a razor blade. But I will be careful anyway. I suppose I'll have to search around for some rocking chairs then, huh? And what does 'saucy' mean? And regardless of where you put your structure, your park bench fits it quite well!

Speaking of trees, the learning kit I was given can only be described with two choice words...NOTORIOUSLY DIFFICULT!! My house by contrast was practically a walk in the park in putting together. As for the trees learning kit? Ha! Not only did they fail to provide any tools to help with putting together the trees, but their instructions are a little on the cryptic side. Of course, I'm still new to the whole concept of layout creation, but even though I was only able to make 3 trees today, an extra tool or two couldn't have done them harm.

"saucy" - In more down to earth terms that are suitable for this forum (I hope), a vixen or a lady that has no trouble attracting men, but definitely not a prostitute.
Willie

If you don't have an X-acto knife,then you're not going to have a sprue trimmer, which would have been my suggestion.

http://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-...455582560&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=sprue+trimmer

"saucy" - In more down to earth terms that are suitable for this forum (I hope), a vixen or a lady that has no trouble attracting men, but definitely not a prostitute.
Willie

LOL! This last message makes me blush. If Lucy was real, I'd gladly ask her out. :eek: As for the sprue trimmer, maybe I'll be able to get one of those next month...Cheers and thanks!

I always thought a "saucy lady" was someone who made and bottled pickles etc. Things you do learn on a model railroad forum :rolleyes:

It's a "Texas" thing toot.
SS - Instead of a "sprue cutter", you could use "side-cutting" or "flush-cutting" pliers if you have one in your toolbox.

Willie

Back