My Christmas Layout Progress

OCN Guy

This year I did a total redo of the Christmas layout. I pulled everything off, new track, risers, tunnel and portals to put down, snow... everything.
I tore everything off, then built my tunnel the way Woodland Scenic says to...
picture.php

Except it doesn't work so well in reality. They say to use plaster cloth as a hinge. Nope. the tunnel sags. so, I took chips and pieces of broken tunnel liner, cemented it in place with runny hydrocal, let it sit upside down, and then when it dried, added more plaster cloth to the outside.
picture.php

Risers now installed... I used what was left over from my N scale layout, doubling the 2% to make 4% incline. This year the layout is still a circle, next year I'll expand it to a dogbone or figure 8 with spurs.
picture.php

track installed... partly. I used Atlas 842 Terminal Joiners for all my rail joiners, and Atlas code 100 flex track.
picture.php

I wired up all the wiring to the Bachmann power pack that came with my Christmas train. when that burns out, i'll get an MRC power supply.
picture.php

Last step with track... I gulped, and used some Rubyfluid solder flux, my radio shack soldering iron and some ancient radio shack solder... and soldered all the rail joiners! I know I did overkill on the wiring, but I wanted to make sure my track had consistent power.

Tunnel portals... I used two Woodland Scenic C1253 tunnel portals.
I leopard spotted them with watery yellow ochre
picture.php

Normally when I color tunnel portals or rock, I add much more coloring, and black inkwash them afterwards... but against snow... I opted for a "Christmas Wonderland" subdued kind of thing.
I then used slate grey wash, and sprayed them about five or six washes of them in two hours. A final wash of very watery black... and they're done. Again, very subdued!
picture.php

final job compared to plain uncolored plaster.
The rock outcropping and tunnel portals get installed today.

picture.php

I will say this... working with Woodland Scenic soft flake snow was difficult! If they would be more DETAILED in the instructions on their scenery manual, it would help. It took searching out Youtube to find out you have to FLOOD scenic cement (I used watered down Elmer's Glue) to make it work.

Back