Mult- Gen Set Indian Railway Diesel on my layout

vikramgoel

Picture of a multi-gen set diesel locomotive Class WDM2G of Indian Railways on my layout. This locomotive has three 800 hp “gen-sets” which can work individually in parallel. This means that one, two or three of the Gen-sets can be operated depending on the situation and power required, translating into tremendous energy-efficiency (two engines can be shut down while running light or idling).

S1770001.jpg

Nicely done mate. I would say this is using the Gen Sets developed by the National Railway Equipment Co (NRE) in the US. The loco itself looks like a GE "U boat" that has been modified to take that system. They were apparently not all that well received as switchers due to a time delay in the power delivery in that role in changing from forward to reverse (or so I read). Later models of the NRE manufactured engines have had dynamic brakes added along the top of the long hood (the originals had a low long hood), for mainline use, this Indian conversion seems that it may have them as well, just housed within the loco's normal hood height.

Back