MTH SD70ACe

bnsfjason

Maintenance in the way
Hello everyone, I am about to receive my very first MTH SD70ACe this Tuesday but I have one or maybe two question about the couplers that it comes with, I know it has that automatic coupler that is controlled by their exclusive DCS? system, what I also got coming are those scale couplers by Sergent and I wanna know if I will be able to swap out the factory installed couplers on the SD70ACe for the Sergent couplers, I don't think i'm interested in the functioning automatic couplers but i'm more into the looks of having a coupler that has a better prototypical look to it.

Thanks,
Jason

The couplers can be controlled on DCC and DCS.
From what I understand, they will open at any speed, but will not close unless you are going above 22 scale mph.
The couplers should be able to be swapped out pretty easily, though you may have to clip off a wire or something. In fact I think I remember hearing somewhere that the loco came with replacement couplers in case you didn't want the functioning ones.

Sure, i'm supposed to get it tomorrow 12/22 but the couplers may arrive either sometime this week or next week but i'll take a few shots once I put the Sergent couplers on.
I'd love to see photos of yours with the Sergent's installed.

I was reading another thread here and it seems the MTH works well with the Tower 55 locomotives as for being MU'd together, someone stated that the MTH will drag the Athearns and Katos, I am wondering if it's the actual Athearns or Athearn Genesis and how about the BLI locomotives?

I did order my MTH via Walthers but they only have one BNSF road number on their inventory, I know there are other road numbers out there in the market but does anyone knows how can I find the others? i'm assuming there are some LHS or websites out there but can someone direct me to a good reliable site for me to make another purchase on the MTH SD70ACe (BNSF)

Start checking other online retailers. MB Klein HAD all the BNSF road numbers, but have since sold out. eBay has them as well.

I hear MTH is going to offer a free user installed upgrade to the on board electronics, to allow better programming with DCC and advance consisting (which is not available on the current board). Not sure when that's coming.

I guess Mikey realized that not everyone in HO scale is willing to buy DCS...

Yeah, to me it don't make any sense for me to spend more money on a system that is exclusive for the MTH locomotives, I already have a DCC system but it's still in the box:p

Josh, the January MR says that MTH is going to offer an "upgrade" at some point in the future so you can do little things like set speed tables, do advance consisting, and remap function buttons. :eek: The remotely operated couplers are a joke. You have to be going a scale 22 mph for the coupler to engage another coupler and close the knuckle. Wouldn't that be fun in a crowded yard? :rolleyes: On top of that, MR gave this engine a generally good review, even though there were major paint flaws in the Rio Grande Heritage scheme. The front handrails in the picture are bent and look awful. I'm sorry, but, at $250 MSRP, I'll buy an Athearn, Atlas, or P2K any day over this piece of fluff.

Well, I got my SD70ACe a day early:cool:, I opened it up, looked at it and thought the details are pretty darn good except for the couplers, it felt pretty heavy like my Proto 2K SD60M, now all I have to do is wait for the Sergent couplers to arrive so I can get working on it.:rolleyes:

Josh, the January MR says that MTH is going to offer an "upgrade" at some point in the future so you can do little things like set speed tables, do advance consisting, and remap function buttons.
Yeah, and that future releases will have it pre-installed...:eek:

Wonder what the word "future" means? I kind of thought MTH placed a bulk order for an entire run and then that was it. :confused:

Wonder what the word "future" means? I kind of thought MTH placed a bulk order for an entire run and then that was it. :confused:
I guess Mikey found out the hard way that not all people were interested in DCS, when so many have thousands invested in DCC...:rolleyes:

Back